How do we set up a "Used New Bike Fund" for Terry?

by BucketShopBill 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth
    Stealth

Riding in traffic is life or death decision-making. I have to be in a state of constant alert. The adrenaline is galvanizing! I get from Point A to Point B and I really feel ALIVE!

I live in a university town where they just took part of the roadway on many streets to make bike lanes all over town. They also passed a law that people in cars can't shout anything out of the windows at the bike riders.

Sounds like your in a larger city. Consider a helmet if you don't have one.

Happy riding!

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I would give anything to be still able to ride!!!!

Dwain

• Terry
    Terry

Three constant annoyances when you're riding a bike in traffic.

1. Drivers come up behind you very close and blast their horn. I'm convinced it is to scare the living shit out of you! I deal with this by smiling

and waving at them while I plot their murder inside my mind.

2. Drivers at a stop sign on a cross street see me coming with right of way. They wait till the last second, and suddenly drive in front of me just to

watch me jam on my brakes. Sadists.

3. I always stop and give right of way to through traffic, but some people out of exaggerated (and ill-timed courtesy) will stop traffic to allow ME to go by. This annoys everybody (including me). I stopped for a reason, obviously. If I wait you out, everybody hates everybody. If I finally decide to go, you may have decided your pause was unecessary and suddenly turn in front of me. Sigh. Nobody wins.

Add to the above the sides of the street (where the "Bike Path" is supposed to be) are the most littered with broken glass, gravel, twigs, trash, etc.

What's with drivers who through trash out onto the street? I mean, REALLY?

• MissFit
    MissFit

How's the new bike? Have you broken it in yet?

• poppers
    poppers

Terry, I'm so glad that you were able to get a new bike thanks to the good people on this site. Wish I could have helped in the effort. Bianchi is a great bike. Please get yourself a helmut if you don't already have one. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye at the most unexpected times, and a helmut is an ESSENTIAL piece of gear to protect yourself from head injuries. I cringe when I see people riding without one, especially kids. Four years ago I took a hard spill when 2 dogs ambushed me and one of them got under my front wheel. I went down hard and fractured my collar bone, but my helmut did its job, breaking its shell. That could have been my head. I didn't even realize it until days later when I took a close look at it. The other stuff isn't really necessary on short rides like you are taking, but a helmut is.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The other stuff isn't really necessary on short rides like you are taking, but a helmut is.

Also, another concern is that it's the law and for your safety that you dismount your bike and walk it across each intersection.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

FlyingHighNow - "The other stuff isn't really necessary on short rides like you are taking, but a helmut is."

What if you don't know a Helmut? Will a Hermann or a Heinrich do?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

FlyingHighNow - "The other stuff isn't really necessary on short rides like you are taking, but a helmut is." <------Poppers

Vidiot, unfornuately, I forgot to put Poppers' words in a quote box. Not that I don't misspell a lot of words myself.

• poppers
    poppers

Yes, Vidiot, a Hermann or a Heinrich will do, but if you can't find either of those to strap on top of your head find a helmet instead.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have the cash to buy a bike and I want one, just have had a tough time finding one I can safely mount and dismount, since I am 55 and have short legs. When I was 16, I had a bike accident and broke my leg in three places. I am not eager to do that again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit