Anyone else notice the new Terms of Use on jw.org?

by leaving_quietly 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I first noticed it today... slides up at the bottom. I wonder why they felt the need to do this? This is just silly for a religious website.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Hmm:

• Post Content from this website on the Internet (any website, file-sharing site, or social network);

Interesting. Sue me WT, this is fair f**king use. You can **** my ****

• Terry
    Terry

I just noticed.

• baltar447
    baltar447

ANY WEBSITE

Does anyone else think they are getting read to sue the hell outta ex-jw sites?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Well, I guess I won't use their site anymore since I simply don't agree with their terms of use.

I find it actually incredible that they would do this. What a complete turnoff for anyone who just got that tract that points them here. It's like: wait... what? Well, then, no thanks.

• baltar447
    baltar447

leaving_quietly, you're missing the point. Since ALL their stuff is moving to online only, they are going to try and use this as a prelude to shut criticism down.

• baltar447
    baltar447

See:

Breach of Terms of Use

Without prejudice to Watchtower’s other rights under these Terms of Use, if you breach these Terms of Use in any way, Watchtower may take such action as Watchtower deems appropriate to deal with the breach, including suspending your access to the website, prohibiting you from accessing the website, blocking computers using your IP address from accessing the website, contacting your Internet service provider to request that they block your access to the website and/or bringing legal action against you.

• baltar447
    baltar447

So, everyone put on your tinfoil hats. Faders leaking stuff, start using a proxy server to access jw.org.

• sir82
    sir82

From the "Copyright.gov" website:

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair.

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
    2. The nature of the copyrighted work
    3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
    4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

1. If baltar's conjecture is true, not sure how they plan on getting around that....
  • sir82
    sir82

Are their "terms of use" significantly different than any others out there? I gotta admit, I rarely read them....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit