Are Congregation Picnics still forbidden? If so, Why???

by NAVYTOWN 38 Replies latest jw friends

• NAVYTOWN
  • NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

OOPS!!! SORRY. Back in the 1980s I attended meetings for about 8 months at a KH in San Diego. At that time, large group gatherings were happening pretty frequently, with no problems that I was aware of. Once I hosted a pool party/cookout for about 30 members of the congregation, in honor of an Elder and his family visiting me from Texas. I was just studying at that time. Another time, there was a night-time beach bonfire party for about 40 people at a beach in La Jolla. Everyone had a good time. Life seemed good then. But somehow all those good times ended in recent years. In the early 2000s when I was again attending the same congregation, the only social events were JW funerals and a meal afterward at a local apartment complex. It seems that the large 'fun' gatherings no longer were happening. Does anyone know the exact reason this was ended? And wasn't there any grumbling about there no longer being these enjoyable group activities?? Now even the weekly Book Study Nights (with food and socializing afterwards) are long gone. Does anyone have other examples of when and why the 'good times' ended??

• designs
    designs

We have Big semi annual congregation picnics in the late 60s early 70s then they faded. In the 80s my wife and I would host Big annual beach parties. Picnics went from congregation sponsored to individuallly sponsored at the insistence of the Wt. Leaders, they didn't want the liability or scandal if something went wrong.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

My congregation (I attend about 2 times a month) has large congregation parties and picnics about all 3-4 months. So nothing forbidden by the borg.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

They don't want anyone to have fun. Probably though they don't want serious discussion, eg, the pedophilia, some of teachings being wrong, the fact that they're land grabbing.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

We have events like picnics, quests through cities , sport events, nighttime treasure hunts in the forest and on the beach at least 6 times a year with our congregation and it has always been this way

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

My relative's cong seems to spend all their free time together...it's like they're scared to actually have a life. Sad, really, as they stay so tightly wound together that no real light of awakening can shine in. And yes, their eldubs keep it going that way on purpose as they spearhead lots of these gatherings.

• naazira
    naazira

We have a congregation picnic every August.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Never in all my years of being a JW did I hear congo picniks were "forbidden" kind of a dramatic word too, if you ask me. "My" cong just had one last month, and my former cong had one too.

What made you think that? Maybe regionally large get togethers are frowned upon, but that is a lot different than "forbidden"

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS came out with articles and cautions from the platform that people who had "large" get-togethers could be held responsible for any wrongdoing by others there. They also said that congregations could not sponsor these, but an individual jw had to do it.

There were still congregation picnics if some individual (sometimes an elder) was willing to take the risk. It was always by written invitation only and you had to b ring it with you and if you wanted to bring someone else you had to clear it with the host.

For those having "congregation" picnics still, I think some individual is taking responsibility for any "wrongdoing."

*** w92 8/15 p. 19 pars. 15-16 Social Entertainment—Enjoy the Benefits, Avoid the Snares ***

The wedding in Cana had a “director of the feast.” (John 2:8) This is not to say that a family having a group to their house for a meal or a period of association would have to appoint a director. The husband would be responsible for oversight of the event. But whether a group is just two families or is somewhat larger, it should be clear that someone is responsible for what goes on. Many parents check on this when their son or daughter is invited to a social gathering. They contact the host to ask who will oversee the entire occasion, including being present to its end. Christian parents have even adjusted their own schedule to be present so that both older and younger ones could enjoy mutual fellowship.

16 The Canada branch of the Watch Tower Society writes: “Counsel relative to limiting the size of social gatherings has been understood by a few elders to mean that large gatherings at wedding receptions are in violation of the counsel. They have concluded that if we are counseled to keep our social gatherings to a small, manageable size, it would be wrong to have 200 or 300 people at a wedding reception.” Rather than overemphasizing an arbitrary size, prime attention should be given to proper oversight, however many will be there. The quantity of wine that Jesus provided indicates that quite a sizable group attended the wedding in Cana, but evidently it was suitably overseen. Other feasts back then were not; their size may have been a factor leading to inadequate oversight. The larger a gathering, the greater the challenge, because it is easier for weaker ones, who are inclined toward excesses, to assert themselves. At unsupervised gatherings they may promote questionable activities.—1 Corinthians 10:6-8.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit