How have you changed since finding TTATT ?

by Phizzy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

on Coftys thread about his former Pastor trying to re-convert him, which is very long but a tremendous discussion of the Problem of Evil, a poster, sunny23, wrote :

" Having been 7 months since I first posted on the first page of this topic I have just read those posts and acknowledged a huge transfromation in myself for the better.".

I was only thinking the other day how, as I discovered this Site and TTATT, I really changed as a person in so many ways, and I think mainly for the better.

I have been "Born Again" !!

I am a born-again Atheist.

Do you feel that Transformation ? Regardless of your present stance on belief, or non-belief, which I do not wish to focus on here, do you notice a real change in yourself ? and has it been mainly for the better ? Are you now, like me, a quite different person ?

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

There is no doubt that learning TTATT had a profound effect on me. It's been about 8 months for me. I feel more empathy for people (Jws and non). I also think that I appreciate kind deeds done for me more. I'm still physically in so I am sure that more drastic changes are in store after I am totally out.

Or if you believe my wife then I have just had some sort of a nervous breakdown.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

After the initial shock, disbelief, hurt, anger, rage.. there is now a most pleasant calm, peace, acceptance, relief, an indescribable renewed sense of freedom to think and feel and be. I don't know the answers and and am not in the slightest bit worried about not doing so. Guilt too is no longer a part of my life and my sense of self-worth is gradually re-balancing itself to acceptable norms.

I have regained my empathy and love too towards all people everywhere instead of having it choked and confined to only those the org told me I should love.

Being truthful about the truth is maybe the best and most important single thing that has happened to me on the last 30 years. I am immensely grateful for this.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Might I echo what dis-member said above. Absolutely right in my case too. Although I still have a fair bit of angst about whether/when/how to have THE conversation with the missus..

• cantleave
    cantleave

Haven't changed a bit.....................

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You have Cantleave, less hair on your head, more on your chin. And this guy is now your friend

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I haven't changed. I'm still an active Witness. I'm hoping that once I complete my fade, I can set about putting my newfound perspective into play and improve myself, maybe contribute something to society, and show that I am a better person than the one the religion tried to make me into. But if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, then it would have accomplished nothing for me to have learned TTATT two years ago since I have had to keep living the JW life in the meantime. So I'm quite eager to move on with my life and am working feverishly on making my fade happen ASAP.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I have been out mentally for 4 years and out physically for 3. I am, by far, a better, happier person overall with so much less stress. I live in a new town and can even ask the witnesses that come by my house the questions I could never ask since no one knows me. Anonymity has been a great gift. I transitioned from thinking I was a "lover of Jehovah/God", to confused about everything, so I visited some churches to find answers....read lots and lots. Compared bibles and then realized I never believed any of it. I don't want to be a non believer. I still search diligently on a daily basis to believe and find a reason to believe but I just can't. I want there to be some afterlife and maybe there is...no one will know until they die. Having no belief is actually less stressful than believing because now I know I am a good person because I AM a good person, not because I am being blackmailed and guilted into being such. The only drawback is that my parents are getting older and the thought of losing them is utterly terrifying.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm definitely more at peace with the fact that I'm an atheist, and ultimately have been for years before finding TTATT. Its also nice not to have an internal conflict about how to feel about homosexuals. Basically, I'm able to be the better person I always felt like I should be, but couldn't fully embrace because it conflicted with the WTS's doctrine and policies.

But since I'm still stuck in, I'd describe it mostly like one weight has been lifted and another has replaced it. I no longer have this internal conflict, but now I'm constantly stressed about how to handle my wife and how I'm going to get out and hopefully keep her.

• SAHS
    SAHS

For me, I have less fearfear of whether or not I have sinned against the holy spirit (I’m sure I must have by now – that is, assuming the WTS is correct, and of course assuming that there is a holy spirt to sin against), fear of Armageddon (well, where is it? did I miss it or something?), fear of dying (I know that I can just ask a doornail or doorknob about death and get the correct answer), fear of not pleasing Jehovah (now I know that he was simply a mythological warrior god invented by some ancient desert tribes), and fear of being disfellowshipped (aside from my parents, the rest of the family never calls me or has anything to do with me, so in that way it wouldn’t make any difference anyway).

Less fear lends itself to greater tranquility and serenity, which are much healthier in every way.

I must say that I am very grateful for this particular Web site, as it was the very place that I found around the year 2003 which really opened my eyes and put things into perspective for me. My hat is off to everyone here, especially Simon for making this site possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit