Why don't Jehovah's Witnesses introduce themselves when knocking on doors?

by Randomthoughts 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Randomthoughts
    Randomthoughts

Most random people who knock on the door politely introduce themselves when you open the door.

For example "Hello, I'm Derick from Unicef and I'm looking for donations blah blah blah"

Now annoying as it may be for some at least he had the courtesy to introduce himself.

Why don't JW's do this? Is it because they are embarressed or perhaps they know you won't take their literature if they do?

I find this slightly rude and deceiving, especially coming from people who are supossed to be fine examples of 'good christian folk'.

The only company I know of that doesn't always introduce themselves first at the door is Safestyle and anyone who has used them will probably understand why.

• blondie
    blondie

There is a recent thread on here. I will try and find it on search. Anyone have it at their fingertips?

• Randomthoughts
    Randomthoughts

Thanks blondie. I was thinking this may have been asked previously.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The short answer to that is the WTS. has instructed the people out in service to not quickly identify themselves that they are JWS. representing the WTS.

The JWS theology/ideology states that its not themselves personally that matters but the Message they bring to the people..

• blondie
  • Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

The JWS theology/ideology states that its not themselves personally that matters but the Message they bring to the people..

The source of a message it often just as if not more important than the message.

If you get a bill, a love letter, a cheque or a death threat.. knowing the source can be even more critical than the content. I would think knowing the source of the message that's meant to be the most important life changing message of your entire life is critical. After one is done with the content the next and ever bigger question is 'who' is this from.

Even more so when they have a 130 year history of making things up, getting things massively wrong and just plain lying.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The OPs question becomes even more interesting to me when you consider that the Society is always counseling children in school and those at work to be quick to identify themselves as JWs. Doing so is presented as a protection from various moral dangers. Yet, when it comes to FS, the opposite is practiced. All well-trained pioneers will remind you in service that we don't tell the householder that we are JWs. At least not initially.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

They might say it's about not bringing attention to the individual. But the real reason is they know people will shut their doors when hearing those dreaded words: Jehovah's Witnesses. Wouldn't you?

• alanv
    alanv

We were encouraged to say we were bible students in the service meeting when I was a JW. For the reason that saying we were JWs, people would not give us a chance to say our piece.

• Randomthoughts
    Randomthoughts

Thanks for the replies. It does seem sneaky.

Next time they knock I will ask them why and thell them I find it rude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit