why did they have to butcher the kingdom melodies?

by purrpurr 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• prologos
    prologos

one or two of the new melodies are quite worthy, particularly when heard layed on a quality instrument rather coming from the cardboard in the kh speakers.

not commenting on the lyrics.

Mikey Spillane's writing was just as beautiful as most the new Kingdom--( perhaps Splane )- inspired -- melodies.

If jws would sing these melodies when going door to door or manning, womaning the carts, listeners would get the right picture, listening.

they would not obey and be non-blessed. not amused by the muses.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

For one thing, there was a nasty Lawsuit launched by the Bees. They didn't appreciate us singing about molesting Bees. Then there was this change in contribution arrangement. So, we can't take Life's water free, anymore. The tune to Shulamite Maiden was kept, but, the Shulamite maiden was misunderstood for a reason for sisters to buy more shoes.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yeah the new songs certainly aren't easier to sing, the only reasons I cab think of are to let us stop singing about beating off bees that have been molested. The other reason is maybe they felt they needed to steep up the propaganda and subconscious indoctrination with tunes like listen obey and be blessed.

• blondie
    blondie

Compound, I was a piano player at the KH at 10 years old, self taught. Later in life I learned to sing 4 part harmony. I can remember after dinner with guests playing the piano and singing alto with the group. Music was a family thing, we all had abilities as did people at the KH. As time went by, fewer read music or played an instrument. The only time people sang was at the meetings, no practice or for pleasure (any music or songs).

I wonder how many songs were deemed to have false religious origins, composed by now out jws, and the egos of so-called musicians in the organization.I have heard many jws that I knew were musical, complain about the changes and how hard it is to sing the songs.

I never understood why taped music was deemed better rather than a live accompanist that could adjust the music to the abilities of the singers. One overly righteous family had a daughter getting married and tried over and over to walk down the aisle to the tapes...could not adjust it so they asked me to play the piano that was left unused in the corner of the KH. I played my arrangements of the KH songs before and after the event and many people thanked me.

Look at the Kusserow family in Germany

*** w85 9/1 p. 11 My Family’s Love for God Despite Prison and Death ***

Dad also included time for recreation, which included music, painting, and a number of other things, all supervised by Mother, a professional teacher. We had five violins, a piano, a reed organ, two accordions, a guitar, and several flutes. Yes, not only did our parents supervise our school homework but they also made music and singing a part of our educational program.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Blondie,

My how things have changed. I can remember going to Circuit Assemblies, and a orchestra of musicians were organized by the brothers. I remember them welcoming volunteers. Then all of a sudden, learning to become a musician became unimportant. This organization hasn't improved during the last 50+ years. I was saddened that my favourite song didn't survived through on the last Kigdom melody changes.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Blondie:

I enjoyed reading your experience about playing the piano at the KH and how much the friends appreciated it. Recorded music simply doesn't cut it:

I never understood why taped music was deemed better rather than a live accompanist that could adjust the music to the abilities of the singers. One overly righteous family had a daughter getting married and tried over and over to walk down the aisle to the tapes...could not adjust it so they asked me to play the piano that was left unused in the corner of the KH. I played my arrangements of the KH songs before and after the event and many people thanked me.

It was so different back then, as attested by the '85 WT quotation you put up. We rocked at the KH and at assemblies where I played; sometimes I was questioned (then counseled) on my exuberant playing: 'Are you playing just the notes on the page?' 'Ah, yes, Brother By-the-Rules, just the notes on the page!'

Well, the brothers and sisters liked it, as they enjoyed your playing, too.

Thanks for sharing!

CC

• Londo111
    Londo111

The latest songbook is so wretched.

I wonder if that is why the artist painted what he did on the back of the songbook. It was his critique.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

In retrospect, that was one of the first changes to the new JW.org and the killing of the religion as we knew it.

• Magnum
    Magnum

A lot of the old songs had beautiful, naturally and easily "singable" melodies. The new book purely sucks. I can't imagine what their thinking was in producing it. My JW mother detests it. The songs are not naturally singable. The melodies are not pleasing to the ear.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The new dirges are designed to attack your psyche, with negative frequencies. Once your mind is sufficiently prepared ( stand up, sit down, ect.) the indoctrination can begin. Start this program early enough and you have a lifelong cult member who obeys without question.

Don't believe me? Start mouthing the words, but don't sing. Do this at every meeting. You will soon begin to experience a clarity that you have been missing. Why? You did not vibrate those terrible frequencies through your body.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit