The Memorial- Passing the emblems, a prime display of weirdness

by Darth Fader The Sequel 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

Given JW beliefs, it would be so much more practical for the speaker to simply ask that anointed ones in the audience raise their hands so that attendants can bring the emblems to them alone so that they can partake; instead of indiscriminately passing the emblems to everyone in attendance.

But Watchtower doesn't want that. Watchtower is aware of the fact that the non-partaking of virtually everyone in attendance is a conspicuous contrast to Jesus' instructions to his disciples that they partake. Since most congregations have 0 anointed ones, following the above procedure would mean never passing the emblems at all - further deepening the contrast and showing up the JWs.

By having the emblems passed, Watchtower is working a bit of psychology on JWs. JWs are being given the subliminal impression that they are participating in the event - that they are personally asserting acceptance of Jesus' sacrifice by handling the emblems. Passing the emblems also creates an atmosphere resembling one of partaking. Psychologically speaking, it's like they're compromizing / softening their disobedience of Jesus command. "We did pass the emblems like Jesus commanded".

This further highlights the fact that JWs are all about appearances. Even while disobeying Jesus' command to partake, they make sure to do all in their power to give the subliminal appearance of partaking.

• under the radar
    under the radar

On a lighter note, in the congregation I once attended a LONG time ago, there a very nice and likeable, though a bit weird, "brother" who was of the "Anointed." Despite the fact that he had a history of mental and emotional problems, he often gave the Memorial talk. Anyway, at one Memorial he remained on the platform while being served the emblems. He broke off a bit of the bread, popped it into his mouth, swallowed, smacking his lips. Then he said in an animated voice, "Tastes good!" I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing out loud, it was so comical. I don't think he ever realized how inappropriate his comment was.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Island Man - "This further highlights the fact that JWs are all about appearances. Even while disobeying Jesus' command to partake, they make sure to do all in their power to give the subliminal appearance of partaking."

I think you might be on to something, there.

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

Darth,

You are crackin' me up. As I stated in another post, I haven't thought about this stuff in years. How awkward that was. I can only imagine what visitors must have been thinking. Probably something like, "wtf was that?!?"

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

Great thread - spot on and brought up a lot of my same forgotten thoughts.

I always "liked" that the douchiest suck up brother was ALWAYS the one to offer it to the speaker, as well. I was an attendant several times, it was just annoyingly nerve wrecking because I always figured I'd be the one to knock everything over.

• Terry
    Terry

If a JW kid is in a classroom and the pledge of allegiance is going on and they just stand there--it is counted as NOT participating, right?

7 million Jehovah's Witnesses "celebrate" the "Memorial" by not participating also--except they call it celebrating. The only way to participate is to consume the emblems.

Refraining from celebrating Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc. is--on the one hand--considered NON-PARTICIPATION.
    How can the very same behavior be called CELEBRATION when it applies to the Memorial?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Discussed this subject here also.

• Ding
    Ding

Imagine if they applied the same rules to other things.

It wouldn't be enough not to attend birthday parties.

You would have to insist that all your friends send you written invitations so you can send them cards expressly refusing to come.

• Dis-Member
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Just a point. This CELEBRATION is the ONLY one that JWs are allowed to have during the year. Fun heh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit