Is is right to leave your job for the WT? In an assembly interview

by skin 18 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

X2. What ShirleyW said.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Where are they now! Probably crying about not taking that good job due to.the WT society.

WT messed over people!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The moral of the story is that they did not do enough - therefore work harder. If only they would have worked harder for jehovah they would be able to be sustained. Their lack of faith is apparent.

And as they are providing free labor the mothership is selling off property for hundreds of millions of dollars.

• SAHS
    SAHS

The purpose of those experiences on the platform at the district conventions is to make people think that the majority of their fellow members aspire to follow an artificial, spuriously-contrived standard.

It is similar to the famous sociological psychiatry experiment devised by Solomon Asch, where people were tricked into changing their perceptions to match that of what they were intentionally misled to perceive to be that of the majority. It’s really all about deception in trying to convey the incorrect idea that most in the audience would just love to quit their jobs and pioneer if they possibly could. Truth is, of course, that a very significant proportion of JWs don’t even have their Watchtower studied and underlined for the Sunday meeting – let alone have a burning desire to pioneer.

So, the next time you see one of those interviews on the platform of folks who seem to be just itching to make whatever sacrifices they can to “advance kingdom interests,” just remember that what you are seeing is merely the mirage which the WTS wants you to perceive. It’s really all just marketing fluff – and nothing more.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they think they have it bad now. Bad enough if it is for bad luck. But being on welfare so one can pious-sneer is not excusable--I would make a rule that one cannot donate anything to the Worldwide Damnation Fund while on welfare. Such would be enforced, and reported back to welfare officials if violated. Also, refusing reasonable work so one can pious-sneer should disqualify one from pious-sneering at all.

Even worse, the washtowel discourages investment. A while ago, I saw here someone getting hounded for having a few ounces of silver (I believe that was when it was going up into the mid 40s). The October 15, 2014 washtowel has a paragraph in its last study article against "spending large blocks of time thinking about investment". What counts as "large blocks of time"? Is it spending most of the day, or is a few seconds enough to be "large blocks of time"? It doesn't say, but Brother Hounder is likely to go by "a few seconds". Thus, even if they manage to save a few toilet papers now and then, buying a silver dime or quarter is not going to happen--when the dollar becomes toilet paper, they are going to be in even worse straits.

And with a defunct dollar, welfare and disability will also be worthless. Now, while we have a dollar that still buys something, is the time to plan ahead. Even if you have to spend "large blocks of time" now, it is better to spend "large blocks of time" preparing for something that is mathematically inevitable (each toilet paper is a debt that must be paid with even more toilet papers, guaranteeing hyperinflation at some point) than to spend even larger blocks of time worrying about how you are going to survive when the time comes. If people were to work a bit more, stack a bit more silver, and cut back on Worldwide Damnation Fund donations now, they might have more time when the dollar becomes toilet paper. At which time, reporting to work becomes a waste of time because the pay is in meaningless numbers instead of purchasing power. That would be the time to spend more time on spiritual matters, while waiting for the reset in currency.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

skin:

I never totally believed these assembly presentations about people giving up jobs and scholarships in order to pioneer. Although, if it is somebody in high school they are at least young enough to rectify their error somewhat - and they have made an error but just don't know it yet.

All through the years I heard stories of people who had to drop off the pioneer list and get their asses back to work.

In this day and age, any adult stupid enough to quit their job for the religion would get no pity from me.

This advice also applies to anybody who can't get time off and decides to spit in their bosses face and go to a convention anyway. These people had better GO ask the religion for money when they can't pay their bills.

• sir82
    sir82

I never totally believed these assembly presentations about people giving up jobs and scholarships in order to pioneer

I know - hardly an assembly goes by without some interview of a 20ish pioneer who brags about "turning down scholarships" in order to pioneer.

I never could figure out - how do these JW kids keep getting "offered" scholarships without applying for them in the first place?

As if Ivy League schools throw around gobs of cash, just begging students to attend, and students just passively sit back and evaluate which giant gob of money they should accept.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“ I never totally believed these assembly presentations about people giving up jobs and scholarships in order to pioneer. ”

Those interviews you see at assemblies are about as honest and factual as the old wheelchair scam, where the person is suddenly “healed” and starts walking but they were never crippled to begin with.

• BU2B
    BU2B

I have heard similiar, but dont forget the terminally ill 90 year old amputee on dialysis who still regular pioneers, the point being, If she can do it, why cant you? Its in the same vein as the yearbook experiences about crossing mountain ranges on foot and traversing snake filled rivers in order to make the meetings.. If they can do it, why dont you? The experiences are classic mind control techniques at work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit