If there was a pill that could open their eyes - would you give it to them?

by truthseeker 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

The original post does look at the "law of unintended consequences" of such a scenario and I think that is very wise. To give an example from recent history, I think that most Americans rejoiced when communism collapsed in Eastern Europe in 1989 and the USSR imploded in 1991. After all, those developments meant an end to tyranny and dictatorship for many. But who could have forseen what has followed (including the ongoing crisis in Ukraine) that has followed? The removal of one evil has allowed others to rise in its place. I think that could be the same with the TTATT pill.

Appreciating TTATT was not something that came about all at once for any of us. It took time for us to acknowledge it and then act on that knowledge. For many, including Yours Truly, this has been an ongoing process as well that is far from complete. As difficult as the process has been for me personally, I am glad it has taken time and was not something that came as a "bolt out of the blue." I don't think I would have handled that very well, and I might say the same would be true for others.

Quendi

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I've often pondered if things would be better if we had taken the Blue Pill.

Life was much simpler then.

Everything was black or white.

Very few things to ponder over since the F&DS had already made all of our decisions for us, we only needed to do research with the WT-Library.

When things went bad, we knew it was Satan. We knew it was persecution or a testing.

When things went good, we knew it was Jehovah's blessing upon us.

Either way, we just needed to do more in "seeking first the Kingdom".

Life's problems would be resolved in the very near future, if we just endured a little while longer.

Then we woke up from this fairy tale. There is no "happily ever after" in Panda Paradise.

Yep..........life sucks and then ya die.

Doc

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Very good thread that raises a number of moral/ethical dilemmas.

My thoughtful but humble responses in red font:

If there was a pill you could give to your JW family members that would awaken their eyes to the truth about the cult, would you give it to them?

Most would probably say yes. I would say Yes, I agree that YES is the best long-term answer for the benefit of the majority, but in the minority case, the answer is NO for some individuals particular needs. The reason is this organisation has very harmful, death-dealing policies and creeds (blood transfusion policy is WICKED, very flawed child abuse policy, and heinous shunning policy) which in the main it is more important to wake JW's up to and undermine the Watchtower's wicked leadership for the long-term benefit of it's own membership, whether they realise it or not.

But what about those who are completely institutionalized, the elderly, the super zealous, the geeky kids who have no friends, the misfits? As above, i must answer YES, for the benefit of the majority of JWs for the long-term. The short-term suffering of a few elderly or misfit JW's is not as important as the greater, long-term moral good gained from snapping JW's and the Watchtower Society out of it's moral and ethical BLINDNESS in disgustingly believing that 'Jehovah' essentially approves of child-sacrifice for fanatical adherence to erroneous interpretations of ancient scriptural passages on blood and a strict and totally unrealistic requirement for 'two witnesses' to child rape before ousting a paedophile from the congregation, for example. Our moral duty as Christians is to mitigate the worst forms of suffering as much as possible and build up from there. The Watchtower Society is BLOODGUILTY for the deaths of babies, children and adults because of blindly fanatical and legalistic, and erroneous immoral interpretations of ancient and entirely debateable scriptures.

Some people need "boundaries", they need someone to lead and give them directions, they need a sense of belonging, even in an organization that has no social programs. Some are hooked on the idea that they are Jehovah's name people and there is nowhere else to go. Others could not function without the "brotherhood" and have limited or no social skills to survive outside the organization. Too bad. It doesn't matter. These people just need to be educated to trust in their own conscience to guide them in life, not self-appointed religious authoritarianism. After realising that the organisation is fraudulent and erroneous in many respects, they will find the courage and liberty to branch out and find new friends amongst normal human society and local community. After all, JW's say that ultimately it is one's own 'Bible-based conscience' that is what we should guide us, right?

Sometimes, the wolf is not necessary - the sheep are happy to build their own pen. A very false and dangerous spoof generalisation to say that.

Freedom comes with a price and not all can handle it.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

the geeky kids who have no friends, the misfits? -truthseeker

The WT is responsible for producing misfits and children who do not

fit in. They are denied the basic childhood experiences of socializing

and joining groups, and celebrations that connect them with their own

age group. The children are their new target and the most vulnerable

to the neurotic, delusional and shame based thinking, the WT pours

down their little throats. If you do not learn how to fit in as children,

fitting in as an adult is doubly difficult, because you have no practice.

• Mikado
    Mikado

No, how cruel would it be to show my mother, in her seventies that her whole life has been a lie?

to make her realise how bad her treatment of others has been?? to what effect?

why be so cruel????

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Mikado - You have no such pill. This is an exercise in imagination.

However having said that, I am a grandmother, and I can tell you

that as we age, we tend to be more aware of our past course,

and if the mind is in tact, it is an age of enlightenment and

increased strength and awareness, and with that comes regret

and repentance. That is without your help.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My answer is yes, yes, YES! I would give it to each and every member of my family. The ones who are young need to know while they can still easily adapt to a real life outside the Borg. The older ones in my family including my 95 yo mother deserve to know because they have been sanctimonious a$$holes to me and others my whole life. They have loved conditionally, judged harshly, and hurt many without loosing a minute of sleep. I would sincerely like to meet them for the first time without the cult personality. It would be interesting.

• Mikado
    Mikado

sorry, but I think to show someone that they have wasted their one and only shot at life, would be immensely cruel. others may disagree and be correct, but that is my honest feeling.

• Mikado
    Mikado

3rdgen, so you would give it to the older people around you to punish them??

I agree totally to save someone while young, but that's a different kettle of fish..

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Mikado, The question asked is would I give it to MY relatives. I would never give the pill to an elderly JW I hadn't personally known to be hateful. My older family is mostly dead except the few who GIVE the ulsers and heart attacks, not get them. I have known many decent Jws in my lifrtime who I wouldn't want to suffer knowing TTATT but unfortunately, they are not related to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit