"Thanks for showing an interest" - why I'd rather be completely shunned.

by Julia Orwell 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

An old JW friend of mine died on Saturday, and I used to be best friends with her JW husband. We were close friends for 14 years. I was like his daughter. I was family to them. That is, until I left JWs last year. He then cut me away as a friend. However, I stayed friends with the non-JW actual daughter via Facebook, although I never really knew her that well.

Facebook is how I found out about Lucy's death. I tried to call the survivors but I didn't have their numbers. No call from my ex best friend, nothing. Until today. He must have called me in a fit of emotion and got my voicemail, so I called him back after work. I was apprehensive about having to call him - after all, if I'm completely shunned, I know exactly where I stand, and that's a loose end tied up. It weighed on my mind as I drove home, and I was awash with wondering where I actually do stand. I'm not dfd or da, but shunned as an 'apostate'.

So I call the grieving widower back, and offer my assistance and condolences, which he accepted with a stilted grace. But then he asks, "How did YOU find out about Lucy's death?" I told him his daughter told me. Wasn't going to say she posted it on Facebook and I found out that way. Then he wraps up the conversation because he 1) is genuinely emotionally exhausted; and 2) where I stand must still be as worse than a pedophile. Bear in mind we were close as father and daughter for 14 years. We always went witnessing, to conventions, and to coffee shops together, for 14 years. So I was as close as family and not some well wisher on the street.

In view of this close relationship for over a decade, I could not have possibly expected him to end the conversation like this (after begging off for being tired, which I understand): "Thanks for showing an interest."

Like I'd called to enquire about the soup of the day.

I'd rather he'd never called me.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Forgive them, because they really don't know what they are doing. Many of us here used to act in the very same way. You can only hope and pray that such ones will have their eyes opened, sooner rather than later.

The "new donation arrangement" (aka tithing) is opening many Witnesses eyes and making them realise exactly what is behind the numerous JW organizational changes in recent years - MONEY!

Nothing to do with Bible teachings!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes!! Hit people in the wallet and they start to take notice.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Bear in mind also that in grief he may not have worded that as he would if not in grief. That, combined with the conditioning we all received, makes for many a thoughtless comment.. But still..

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Being a Jehovers Witness is a heavy burden, and the truth is you gain lesser spirituality the longer you remain. I feal sorry for him, becausetrue friends are hard to find Julie and he is missing a good one.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You did the right thing in callng back.

He is in a cult and the cult doctrine has stolen his brain.

• flipper
    flipper

JULIA- I know EXACTLY how you feel. When I talked with one of my former best friends, an elder, back in 2009 ( I exited the JW's in 2003 ) just to catch up as he had moved to the midwest from California - it was like I had some kind of disease. When he found out after 5 minutes into the conversation that I had stopped attending meetings years ago - the intensity and concern in his voice got REALLY tense and he was on the defensive for the rest of the conversation justifying the WT Society to me . It's as if we had never HAD a friendship and I was " marked " .

As Oubliette says their brains have been stolen by the WT Society through mind control. But not only their brains have been stolen, also their ability to show ANY kind of empathy, human kindness, and true compassion has been stolen from them as well ! It's as if the WT Society has hardwired their minds to be obedient first and not be nice at all so the obedience doesn't slip within them. It's pretty disgusting when the alleged " fruitages of the spirit " the Bible talked about showing gets put on the back burner or thrown away just to proliferate a WT Society concept of blind obedience. You did the right thing in showing kindness and empathy to this man though. Good for you. Maybe it will start him to think about things- you never know. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• BU2B
    BU2B

What really shows the mind control is when a person is not DF/DA and they are still shunned. They arent even being ordered to shun an individual, but they do it voluntarily. That is why a "ban" on shunning wont work. JWs shun even when they dont have to already. They are gone!

• Ding
    Ding

I agree with The Searcher's advice to forgive him because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Not only is he dealing with intense grief, but he is also having to deal with the cult expectations.

Remember that his whole identity and future hope is wrapped up in the organization.

In his mind, his chance to be with his wife again in the resurrection hinges on his faithfulness to the WTS, which means that he has to treat you this way.

Who knows -- thanking you for your interest may have been a risky step for him -- like reaching out to you rather than outright shunning you.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

He is a mess now. Forgive him. Follow up in a few weeks with a nice note mentioning some memories of the person that died that are happy and positive and just leave it at that. If nothing else happens, you know that you did a kind thing and if he can't accept, that's his prob. He probably will send another stilted note, if anything, but at least your former friendship deserves that acknowledgment.

I'm sorry that you lost someone who had been so dear to you without a reconciliation. That is a tragedy that the WT is guilty of perpetuating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit