Elder: I threw out all WT & Awake and only keep the last ten years...

by adjusted knowledge 35 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I had a recent conversation with an Elder from my mother's congregation. He with another Elder was at my mom's house. My mother has all the bound volumes for both the awake and watchtower plus most of the older books. This elder tried to witness to me and he would ask me questions. I know what the new teaching is but I would always answer with "old light" and I would get out the Watchtower or Awake to show him in there.

The witnesses always use the same open ended questions no matter the congregation. The one he asked me was who will not be resurrected? The correct adjusted knowledge answer is Adam, Eve, and Judas. But I feign ignorance and stated all those in Sodom and Gomorrah. I was waiting for him to refute my answer but then I showed him the watchtower answer in the 80's was they would not be resurrected. There were several more questions of this type which I'm sure most of you were trained to ask. It was fun because I was ready for it.

He was getting frustrated and told my mother she should throw away all those bound volumes and that is what he did. He only keeps the watchtower and awake from 2000 to present. So of course I took a parting shot and stated, " Oh I guess the last 90 years of teachings was wrong?" lol

Basically the religion keeps changing every 10-15 years.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

You are dead right, the religion I grew up in, no longer exists. It even has a different name that says it all really.... JW.ORG

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Good for you. Keep em on their toes.

I should ask my mom if she has her old bound volumes. She had them starting around 74' 75' from what I remember while growing up.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LOL!!! You're awesome!!! Hmmm...why would the WTBTS only have publications from 2000 forward?!?!?! LOL!!!!'

DD

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I would love to have your mom's library... All that amo.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

What did he say when you said so that last 90 years were fluff.

• Ding
    Ding

It amazes me how JWs (including elders) can simply dismiss 100 years of WT teaching as "old light" without ever considering the possibility that something might be seriously wrong with the whole "organization speaks for Jehovah" claim.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

The Watchtower should come with an expiration date label: "Please consume information in the magazine before June 27, 2015, afterward it will be considered Old Light and should be discarded."

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

They should put expiration dates on all the WT litteratrash, so everyone knows how quickly it will become "old light".

Better yet, as soon as the magazines and books arrive at the congregation, just toss them in the dumpster. It saves the trouble of opening, counting, distributing, and then destroying.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Truly ironic, considering WT just recently stated this:

Watchtower , February 15, 2013, p. 12, para, 18:
    "We benefit from balanced consideration of the history of Jehovah’s organization... Moreover, we do well to examine our history, learn from it, and plan for the future."

w12 1/15 p. 32 Preserving Gems From Our Past
    In Writing Archives, diligent work is now under way to preserve and document our rich and growing legacy. Photographs carefully held in the Archives could be considered part of our “family album.” Our early publications, thrilling first-person accounts, and priceless memorabilia are also among the gems held in the Archives.

Like them [the sons of Korah], do you have a desire to study and recount the history of the earthly part of Jehovah’s organization? The more you learn about God’s organization and how Jehovah supports his people, the more real God’s Kingdom will be to you. -- w2012 8/15, p. 12, para. 5 - [Emphasis added]

*** Ministry School (2002) p. 21 Apply Yourself to Reading ***

WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR READING PROGRAM

• Is the Bible at the top of your list?
    • Do you regularly read the Watchtower and Awake! magazines?
    • Do you read new Bible study literature soon after it is received?
    • When given your copy of Our Kingdom Ministry, do you read what has been provided there to help you in your ministry?
    How many of the older publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses have you read?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit