Solving the Problem of a Generation that never ends ...

by fulltimestudent 14 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Luke 21 is a difficult text to interpret. And Jesus' failed prediction that the end would occur in the lifetime of those who heard him speak, makes the whole thing border on farce.

Recall what he said:

30 When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near.

31 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.

32 “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

The GB of the JWs tries to explain away Jesus' failed prophecy by saying it applies to those on whom the end comes. That generation, always applied in the past to the generation that saw 1914, should not, in their explanation, pass away without the end coming. But again, the prophecy has failed and their latest attempt to "increase the length" of a generation is not making much sense.

But never mind, the Japanese, those resourceful and inventive people unkown to the Yahweh/Jesus combo God, have found an answer.

The solution to the GB's problem is to have the Japanese make robot's of Nathan Knorr and Freddy Franz - in this way the 'generation' may never have to end, and endless generations of unrobotic humans can share the endless generation of Nathan and Freddy.

WHAT THE HELL AM I TALKING ABOUT?

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUjevP-VVwI

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP6uxt3JJSU

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa3DR2kvaI

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhVu2hxm07E

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Or there's the fact that the illustrations are all about trees, that live for thousands of years.

• steve2
    steve2

Or that Luke 21 is really incredibly straightforward but humans have a chronic need to "take over" simple messages by imposing their own needs and beliefs on those messages.

I can still be astonished that people from a variety of different religious persuasions continually churn out new books on what Revelation means.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am all about sex robots. Anyone?!?!?! Be honest now... I love Japanese culture.

DD

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Well that's put a downer on my evening!
    Where will his words be? I'll head there.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Doesn't anyone want to express their JOY that they could have Freddy or Nathan give talks at every convention?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The robots seem to get better and better.

They even as the last video above shows, talk about LOVE in a way that seems to express real feelings. In contrast - the love of JWs, seems to become even more robotic.

Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro is likely correct when he discusses the (Shinto concept) that robots can have 'soul'.

Here's a news story from today's Canberra Times: ( http://www.canberratimes.com.au/world/meet-kodomoroid-japans-android-newsreader-20140625-zskoq.html )

Meet Kodomoroid, Japan's android newsreader

Date June 25, 2014 - 6:22
    The new face of news readers? Photographers gather around female-announcer robot called Otonaroid, second right, and a girl robot called Kodomoroid, right.

The new face of news readers? Photographers gather around female-announcer robot called Otonaroid, second right, and a girl robot called Kodomoroid, right. Photo: AP

Tokyo: Japanese scientists have unveiled what they say is the world's first news-reading android, eerily lifelike and possessing a sense of humour to match her perfect language skills.

The adolescent-looking "Kodomoroid" - an amalgamation of the Japanese word "kodomo" (child) and "android" - delivered news of an earthquake and an FBI raid to amazed reporters in Tokyo.

She even poked fun at her creator, telling leading robotics professor Hiroshi Ishiguro: "You're starting to look like a robot!"

Japanese announcer Aki Nakata (left) smiles as she poses with a new humanoid robot named "Kodomoroid" at the National Museum of Emerging Science and Technology in Tokyo.

Japanese announcer Aki Nakata (left) smiles as she poses with a new humanoid robot named "Kodomoroid" at the National Museum of Emerging Science and Technology in Tokyo. Photo: AFP

The pitch-perfect Kodomoroid was flanked by a grown-up fellow robot, who caught stage fright and fluffed her lines when asked to introduce herself.

"Otonaroid" - "otona" meaning adult - excused herself after a quick reboot, saying: "I'm a little bit nervous."

Both androids will work at Tokyo's National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation, interacting with visitors to collect data for Mr Ishiguro's studies into human reactions to the machines.

Osaka University professor Hiroshi Ishiguro (right) with his creation "Kodomoroid" as "she" is introduced to the media.

Osaka University professor Hiroshi Ishiguro (right) with his creation "Kodomoroid" as "she" is introduced to the media. Photo: AFP

"We will have more and more robots in our lives in the future," Mr Ishiguro said.

"You can take my androids on planes - the torso in the suitcase and the head in carry-on."

Mr Ishiguro has a humanoid version of himself which he sends overseas to give lectures.

"It cuts down on my business trips," he said.

"Technical advances mean robots look and act more human, and that makes us think about our worth."

Otonaroid looked as if she could need rewiring before beginning her new role as the museum's science communicator, her lips out of sync and her neck movements symptomatic of a bad night's sleep.

But Mr Ishiguro insisted both would prove invaluable to his continued research as museum visitors get to have conversations with the 'droids and operate them as extensions of their own body.

"This will give us important feedback as we explore the question of what is human," said the 50-year-old.

"We want robots to become increasingly clever."

A chatty humanoid called Pepper designed by SoftBank as a household companion is set to go on sale for around $US2,000 ($A2,165) in Japan next year after a successful debut earlier this month.

"That's the same price as a laptop computer," said Mr Ishiguro. "It's incredible."

As the line between humans and machines continued to blur, Mr Ishiguro's mechanical newscaster performed tongue-twisters, to the amazement of their human counterparts.

"My dream is to have my own TV show in the future," Kodomoroid said.

AFP

DD:

I am all about sex robots. Anyone?!?!?! Be honest now... I love Japanese culture.

I'm confident you may soon be able to order a robot that will be enabled to do exactly what you like for sex, and able to do all the things you prefer, down to sharing that last cigarette (post-coital, of course) before you say good bye

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Uncanny valley! Aaaargh!

• SAHS
    SAHS

“fulltimestudent”: “. . . Jesus' failed prediction that the end would occur in the lifetime of those who heard him speak . . .”

I believe that the end did occur in the lifetime of those who heard him speak . . . . for the Jews in 70 C.E.! Remember, their big temple was destroyed and their nation there and then was basically destroyed, with millions of them slaughtered by those ruthless Romans.

The problem is when folks such as Russell and Rutherford (a pair of narcissistic shysters if there ever was one!) try to link prophecies such as by the prophet Daniel, the apostle John, and Jesus Christ to supposedly modern times by using sleight-of-hand, illusionary, “mind-freak” techniques. Apparently around the Biblical numerology/eschatology heyday of the late 1800s and early 1900s, there was basically every single year marked by someone or other as a significant year in “end times” chronology. Around the time of the first issues of the Watchtower (beginning in 1879), those sort of folks were a dime a dozen.

Jesus’ words about the “end” occurring make more sense when considered in their basic simplicity (without pulling stuff out of hats) and related to the times when they were spoken; i.e., during Jesus’ earthly lifetime and the political circumstances around that time involving the Jews and Romans. The more people try to complicate it or force it to relate to something or somewhere or sometime else, the more false and unfulfilled prophecies you’ll see from charismatic self-appointed “leaders.”

Jesus’ words were simple and naturally relevant to that time. Forcing his words beyond that scope to which they were intended is where the problems begin. Like anything else, I say, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

SAHS - I believe that the end did occur in the lifetime of those who heard him speak

This is only possible if "Jesus recorded words" of the prophecy are cherry picked. Of course, you've already heard this a thousand times I'm sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit