How do you shut your mind down so you can get a good night sleep???

by jam 70 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

HB; It was calming reading your post, relaxing.

Last night I counted backward from 100 three times, cut off the

TV and this computer, didn't work. Maybe it's to early for results.

Turning off the computer and not talking with you folks is hard.

I'm like a crack addict, addictive to this forum. LOL

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I haven't had a good night's sleep in over two years. The last thought before I finally doze off is usually around how to implement my exit plan. And that's the first thought when I wake up. It's an obsession.

• LV101
    LV101

HB - Great writing. Maybe you should write bed-time stories (dreams) for us to nod off to lala land. I'm going to try your advice tonight and will let you know. I'm so tired/zombie today from lack of sleep last night I probably won't Need but will start my fantasy story soon.

leaving quietly - now this helps me when I'm obsessing: It's generally something we can't stop UNTIL we learn the antidote -- understanding that we've run into something WE CAN'T CONTROL. Think of the wisdom of the Dalai Lama (Tibet's loss was the world's gain) - let go and detach, surrender and accept (well, that's a test) but when I pull out these notes they help me. If you want more info - I'll dig more out.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Sometimes you can't help but focus on stuff that irks you. 'Tis only natural.

But the mind is a tool and is in your hands. You "own" it, not vice versa and it can be trained to not run rampant with stuff. As has been mentioned, there are tips and tricks.

One thing that works for me when I can't get to sleep is to think of things done that I enjoyed, or things I'd like to do.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I have suffered from what might be termed insomnia my entire life. I can remember being 4 and 5 years old and being the only one awake the entire night of my 2 brothers and 1 sister who all slept in the same room. My mind has been highly active for as long as I can recall. I have just learnt to treat it like a hyper curious and playful dog that has way too much energy. Unless I give it plenty of physical and mental exercise it will simply not lay down and sleep when it comes to bed time.

So I try to ensure my body and mind both get good satisfying workouts each day and now at night sleep no longer eludes me.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Play the Kingdom melodies and let you mind focus on the blessings of the new system.

Meditate on the highlights from the last assembly you attended.

You will be to sleep before your wife.

Rub a Dub

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Get out of bed. Lay on the floor with your legs parallel to the wall. Stretch your arms out from your chest. Breath deep in and out. Works like a charm.

• UN informed
    UN informed

I listen to audible books wit one ear plug in.

i usually buy westerns, like LaMour, Johnston, max brand, etc,

they are interesting enough to listen to but not so interesting that they. Keep me awake. Usually about 10 minutes and I am gone. It te ally helps when I wake upp in the middle of the night and start my frustration thinking. It brings me around to boredom again and I go right to sleep.

just a comment.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jam - "How do you shut your mind down...?"

Listen to a public talk by Anthony Morris III...

jam - "...so you can go to sleep?"

...and knock back a shot of tequila every time he says "listen, obey, and be blessed".

• jam
    jam

vidiot: you know thinking about it now, I did sleep soundly doing the

assembly program. LOL

Thank to all for all the great suggestion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit