NOW I've done it! More engagement news...

by Billygoat 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mulan
    Mulan

Wonderful news!! Thanks for sharing.

A suggestion, for what it's worth: Before you alter your plans to accomodate their wishes, get a confirmation that they are actually going to come. I wouldn't adjust the wedding for them, unless you know they actually WILL be there.

I know someone who made all kinds of concessions to please witness friends, for their son's wedding (with permission of the couple of course) (he wasn't df'd, just not ever a dub) and in the end, NO ONE came of their JW friends. It was sad for all of them.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• outnfree
    outnfree

(((((Andi)))))

I'm very pleased for you that your diplomatic efforts and prayers resulted in this breakthrough.

I hope your wedding day is splendid, whether or not your parents come.
    AND I think you've got a wonderful outlook on the wedding -- it's only the starting point. It's the marriage that you want to be a resounding success!

outnfree

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Well, Dad didn't call me, but he did send me an email. Albeit a kind (!) email, his answer was no. Him and Mom aren't coming to the wedding. I guess I didn't really think they would, but man I would love to throw a Watchtower in his face right about now. Can anyone provide me links to an article that shows association with DFed people isn't a sin???

Andi

• Valis
    Valis

http://www.xjw.com/shunning.html

Maybe good stuff here for you? Good luck and tell Neil I said hey!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

You have a great attitude about the ceremony. Sorry your parents decided they can't be there.

I agree with you completely about not focusing too much on the day itself. Nearly everyone I know that has had a big expensive wedding is now divorced. Hubby and I got married in Vegas at Little Chapel of the West. We tried our best for it not to be "tacky" and had a lovely time with some close family (nonJW) and friends. 15 years later we are still happily married. It's not for everyone, but it worked for us.

Andee

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Andi said: “I'm really working hard not to focus TOO much on the day. Did that the first time: Beautiful wedding, crappy marriage. I'm trying to remember that the wedding day is to be special, but it's the 20K or so days after that that really matter.”

Truer words were never spoken. Andi, you show maturity beyond your years. Experience helps, doesn’t it? My first marriage (to a JW) was also crappy, but I have benefited form that experience. Sounds like you are enjoying the same.

It is a shame that your dad did not call you in person. My guess is that he preferred not “facing” you on the phone, so took the easier route to contact you. Nevertheless, if your conversation is now more civil, perhaps future contacts will gradually become even better. Let’s hope so.

Andi, I regret never having met you, or Neil. Perhaps one day…

Sam Beli

"...religion opposes the commandments of Almighty God." Violence by J. F. Rutherford 1938

• simplesally
    simplesally

Now that you mention it, Andi, did you read one of the latest Awake! articles about marriage? LOL

Actually, there are some good articles in there about how to keep it inexpensive, how to keep your thought in mind about "after the wedding day"....

Much success.
    Sally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit