First trip to Europe this summer...only 20 years later than I planned :)

by Gypsy Sam 20 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
  • bemused
    bemused

As others have said, you'll get by with english, but knowing a few words of french and italian may make your trip more interesting. Tour companies and organised trips are good if you want to cram a lot in, but it can be tiring getting dragged around. The London/Paris/Rome No.1 must-sees for me would be Westminster Abbey/Eiffel Tower/St Peter's. The best show in London IMO is Billy Elliot (but I'd recommend you have a quick look at Margaret Thatcher/miner's strike on Wikepedia beforehand to understand the context). If you've got time to travel out of the cities then Oxford is lovely and an easy trip from London while Versailles is spectacular and only just on the edge of Paris.

Enjoy your trip!

• TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso

What about Lisbon (Portugal). It's always forgotten, but is one of the most old cities in the world and Europe, predating other modern European capitals such as London, Paris and Rome by hundreds of years. Great food, nice people. You can listening fado in many houses of fado. Many museums, etc.

http://www.visitlisboa.com/Home_UK.aspx?lang=en-GB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fado

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Portugal is on my list for next time :)

If anyone wants to meet up in London I'll be there the 12-15th.

• DJS
    DJS

Gypsy,

You will love France. Finding someone who speaks English in or around Parish or the larger cities shouldn't be a problem. Off the beaten path is another matter, as the French very Fracophile (they love their language and heritage). Carry a small English to French book with you that includes most of the common types of things you will need to ask for, etc. It was very helpful as we simply pointed in the book to what we wanted on many occasions. We found the French very helpful and friendly towards Americans (as expected), unlike some of the stories you hear.

As long as you are nice, respectful and considerate of your hosts they will likely return it. Driving in France wasn't difficult, but since rail, buses, etc. are so good likely not necessary. I rented a car and drove all over the S and E of France, without any problems. Signage is very good and driving is on the right as in the U.S. I don't think I ever saw an intersection; everything was roundabouts (traffic circles). That adds a little stress because you have to multi-task (driving into the roundabout while looking at the signs to determine where you are going as opposed to stopping at an intersection and giving it the tourist previews).

The food/wine in France is amazing. Visit some wineries if you can. Hotels, apts., etc. often don't have air conditioning, even when by American standards they should!!! So inquire about this if you are going during a warm period. Have a great trip!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

bit of advice when in London, if you plan on using the bus and tube buy an "Oyster" card (£5.00) , paper cash tickets are double in price ,and also use the tube after 0930 "off peak" far cheaper, a zone 1-2 top up where you can use unlimited bus and tube is only about £8.00/day,you can "top up" credit on the machines at Tube stations using card or cash, Black taxis are expensive but if there is a few of you to split the fare then they are more viable,also avoid at all costs The Angus Steak House chain there are loads of them in Central London and they are over priced tourist trap rubbish, there are thousands of great places to eat check out The Time Out Guide, Chinatown is worth a visit or for a curry head over to Brick Lane, take a look at the usual attractions The Tower of London, St Pauls, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, The London Eye,Buckingham Palace, The National Gallery, The Tate Gallery and The Tate Modern, also day trips to Bath and Stonehenge are well worth doing. Pubs in London are worth visiting for a few beers etc, the food isnt generally great. Hope you have a wonderful trip I've not even been to Rome!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Suggestions? Also, I'm open to meeting up with exjws :) If anyone wants to meet up in London I'll be there the 12-15th.-Gypsy

I must have missed this thread. I will meet up with you. Is your daughter coming too? I will see if my daughter will meetup. It will be fun. Kate xx

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Isn't it the Uffizi Galleries in Florence. The art is unbelievable. Is Michelangelo's David in the Academy in Rome or Florence? Florence is much more quiet and civil than Rome. It has a nice ambience. Altho the scenery is beautiful, Florence is truly for art buffs.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Versailles is a must-see, IMO.

Thought Windsor Castle was spectacular too.

Doc

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

BOTR - Yea it was the Uffizi Gallery. I forgot where David was at. My favorite in Uffizi was the venus painting. Speaking of any of the art musuems, either get early or prepare to have 1 to 2 hour lines to get in. (or pay almost double for tickets skipping the line). Florence is art, architecture, the buildings on the river, and unique gifts from italy like hand made masquerade masks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit