Did Any Atheist/Agnostic Revert Back to Their Former Beliefs?

by Space Madness 56 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

OTWO, you will notice other than providing examples, I did not jump in to this conversation until you equated religious belief with addiction. I think that is a statement worth addressing.

We are not just logical beings. We have a large inexpressive side that processes our environment, our senses, that reacts faster and often more reliably than our logical side (i.e. yanking hand from hot stove).

I agree we use logic everywhere and we have used it spectacularly well in developing our knowledge of the world around us, but there is also the inexpressive side that deserves attention. I think we tap in to that side through various means, but it is difficult to talk about. It can be found through mindfulness meditation. I experienced it during a Japanese Tea Ceremony.

A person integrated with their inexpressive side, I suspect, has greater awareness of their environment, and will catch nuances others may miss.

There is also the sense of purpose and community that is poorly expressed through means other than say, a church service. Not that the church service may be replaced one day, but we haven't found a superior replacement.

• jgnat
    jgnat

In the analogy of the woman who makes an emotional choice of husband. She may come up with all sorts of reasons for her choice, but that's really after the fact isn't it? She made her choice and then found reasons.

OTWO, I think this is what you are getting at when you discuss believing in Christianity as an addiction, and adherents finding reasons after the fact.

But what if the woman is sufficiently self-aware to know that her choice is emotional, not reason based, but still the right decision?

• tornapart
    tornapart

Space.. if you want to rebuild your faith in God try reading some books by Philip Yancey. He found himself in the place you are now after dumping his belief in God following an upbringing in a deeply fundamentalist church. He too found his 'unbelief' dissatisfying and found himself on a long journey of rediscovery. His books are very uplifting for someone wanting to rebuild their faith in God.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

who said anything about belief in the supernatural? I said belief in God. - jgnat

That is interesting jgnat. I'm not sure what you mean though and I don't think I could get away with saying that on this forum.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Xanthippe, my working model is that God is a construct in our own minds. It feels divine.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

You make some good points Jgnat, I think that is what Space Madness is getting at, that not every thing in your life is done for logical reasons. If you are drawn to a religion, it's makes you a better person, if it makes you happy, then what is the downside? Of course that is assuming it's not a cult, or makes you hate in the name of religion of course.

My mother in law looks at it this way: If there is a God, she has done her best to meet his requirements, attends church, thinks about spiritual things, enjoys fellowship and mutual support at church, and has done charitable works. If there is no God, oh well, she is still glad she attended church anyway and her doing so made her a better, happier person.

There is no logical reason to do a lot of things, but we do them anyway. I believe we all have a spiritual side and we do best when we acknowledge that and tend to it. It doesn't have to be religion, but for many people that is the simplest, easiest way.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi jgnat,...you say God is construct of your own mind, I'll concur with that. Forr others it may well be a supernatural need they can't let go of,similar to addiction.

Bestwishesi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit