The Creation of Eve

by jws 28 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

For those of you who believe in the Bible, have you ever seriously thought about the events that led up to the creation of Eve?

Genesis 2 - 18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

So, God has created all of these animals with male and female versions, but forgets to make a female when it comes to humans. What is he, inept? Forgetful?

So what does he do?

Genesis 2 - 19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

It would appear that at the point he realized Adam was alone, he created all the animals and paraded them before Adam to name. But this would contradict Genesis 1 where all of the animals were created first and man last. And you could use the "had formed" to mean it happened at some point in the past. (But.... see below).

So God parades all the animals before Adam then declares no suitable helper was found. He wanted a helper for Adam and parades the animals before him. To find a helper? Wouldn't God know his creation and know an animal wouldn't do? Again, I thought this god was supposed to be smart. Apparently not.

This also defies Genesis 1 that says animals were created first. God saw that man was alone and says I will CREATE a helper for him. Then it talks about forming the creatures and parading them in front of Adam. Then he realizes none of these will do. He assumed that among the animals would be this helper. So these potential helpers must have been created AFTER Adam because God says he will create a helper.

Anyway, God finally decides to give in and create a female. So he takes a rib from Adam and creates a female. Why does he have to cut Adam open? Did he lose the blueprints? Wouldn't a small tissue sample do (which we now know contains DNA)? And wouldn't that bone sample have Adam's DNA? You can tell from DNA whether a person is male or female. So God would have to alter the DNA anyway to create a female. And probably a lot of other things otherwise it would be like doing a close relative (not that doing that is a problem in Genesis).

It also mentions no other procedures on Adam. Like something a little lower than his ribcage maybe?

So we are to believe that Adam had male genetalia complete with sperm for reproduction before God even decided to make a woman for him? It doesn't mention that Adam had these things added so we are to assume they were already there. So again, God created Adam to reproduce but FORGOT to make somebody to reproduce with.

So, what do you believers chalk it up to? Was God incompetent? Forgetful? Or is this just a fairy tale?

• Terry
    Terry

What we now know because of Science is this: if you made another living human from the parts of Adam (cells) you are cloning his DNA.

You wouldn't get anything but a second Adam.

An Adam clone would be the only real part of the story.

End of Story.

Next!

• jws
    jws

Terry wrote:

An Adam clone would be the only real part of the story.

There you have it. I guess God did create Adam and Steve, not Adam and Eve.

:)

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Interesting jws, and I am one who hadn't seriously thought about it when he was a believer. Whatever actually happened, it was clear to God that he had created man incomlete, so he created a woman, and then man was finished.

• pbrow
    pbrow

curse you jws... you beat me by mere minutes!!

pbrow

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Consider the Jewish understanding of Lilith and I believe your whole concept of Eve will change.

• Perry
    Perry

Terry,

XX can come from XY. XY cannot come from XX. The biblical narrative is consistent with this.

The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans, In this system, the sex of an individual is determined by a pair of sex chromosomes (gonosomes). Females have two of the same kind of sex chromosome (XX), and are called the homogametic sex. Males have two distinct sex chromosomes (XY), and are called the heterogametic sex.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

XX can come from XY. XY cannot come from XX. The biblical narrative is consistent with this.

Oh stop! The allmighty creator of the universe needs to pull ribs from one human to create another human? Does this mean he took ribs from all animals to create their female/male counterparts? What a bunch of hogwash.

Just reading the creation account, one can easily see this is a product of an ancient, uneducated, middle eastern mind, who made this up while taking a break from rubbing two sticks together to make a fire. What a bunch of nonsense.

That's one of the problems with the bible; the level of knowledge in it, is on par with the level of knowledge of that era. If the bible described nuclear fusion in an era when humans were trying to rub two sticks to make fire, i would be thoroughly impressed.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Come on Terry! Get with the program! It wos God wot dun it.

• designs
    designs

In Judaism Adam was considered to be an hermaphrodite originally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit