Here is my prediction.

by Iamallcool 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I think next year they will have the Memorial at a larger event space like where they held their circuit assemblies. I noticed each first congregation at each kingdom hall has to leave immediately because each 2nd congregation is coming afterwards. The first congregation does not really have the time to greet new people after the Memorial. I would not be surprised if someone read my post and suggest it to Bethel.

• hoser
    hoser

Some places already do this

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I know, I think it will become more common.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

One of my last memorials was in a school gymnasium. It seemed very impersonal, not really special at all, I would rather have it at the Kingdom Hall.

I was visiting my in laws in Southern California, they got an invite to the memorial, it was going to be at a hotel, it seemed like it was every congregation in that city, so that would be at least three or four congregations.

• prologos
    prologos

It seems that in the 'Last Supper'-- STORY or pictures, it was in the BEST place that Jesus had spied out, doing it under the basket ball hooops and with the cinder-block echoes, is well in keeping with

the "we Other Sheep can put up with that" mentality, it really does not matter.

which it does not.

of course

• sparrowdown
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

There is nothing personal or intimate about the memorial experience so a larger venue won't help that aspect.

But for logistical reasons I can see your prediction becoming more common place as more congregations merge.

But riddle me this; Did Jesus intend for the occasion to become "bigger than Ben Hur" ?

If so, why did he only invite his closest companions, not all and sundry?

• just Ron
    just Ron

I also think they will make sure to have a few anoited at everyone so they have partakers.

• Syme
    Syme

It's not the same as with assemblies.

Bear in mind that assemblies aim almost exclusively at JWs, while the memorial aims at the public. It is the only event which is observed by lots of non-jws.

So, while it is natural to drag jws to WTS-owned assembly halls, it is not easy to drag the general public in a jw-owned construction.

That's why many congs try to throw the memorial at a 'neutral', and if possible luxurious place, such as a hotel conference hall.

So, yes, maybe they will start to hold bigger memorials, but still, not in assembly halls, I think.

Except if the memorial attendance drops at such low levels, that will degrade it to a mainly jw-aimed event, like assemblies.

• KateWild
    KateWild

The first congregation does not really have the time to greet new people after the Memorial.- lamallcool

Good point. As far as recruitment is concerned this is a bad thing for WT. Non JWs visiting will not be love bombed in the same way as if they were to attened a normal meeting. I do remember from the platform the speaker addresses interested ones to seek out an attendant to make known their interest of having a bible study, but you're right Lamallcool, there is no real time for this if you're the first cong in.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit