What's your take on UNITARIAN UNIVERSALISTS?

by Black Man 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Man
    Black Man

Not looking for another religion as I'm completely ATHEIST at this point, but the UU's do seem to have a community spirit about them and don't seem to be so cultish. I lived across from one of their churches (before my recent move) and went to one of their services. It didn't have the rigidity of the Dubs, and seemed to be somewhat open minded. I don't know too much about them, so what's your take on the UU's?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nice bunch, easygoing.

They're about community first and foremost; many UUs are, in fact, atheist.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I have attended my local Unitarian fellowship several times. They welcome you regardless of your belief system. You can even be an atheist or pagan and that is OK. There is no religious dogma that you must adhere to. They have a wide variety of speakers. Very open-minded. The exact opposite of the Witnesses. You won't be 'recruited' to join, either. I highly recommend giving them a try.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

I have attended 2 of their gatherings. Generally speaking they seemed like good people. THey inquiried of my Pantheistic beliefs and were intrigued. LOL

There was an atheist there and he had been attending for a few years which I found shocking... but I was their so I guess it should not have been a surprise.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.uua.org/beliefs/

I have found their beliefs vary by location (like other religions). In my city there was one group for years and now 2 have split off because of differences of opinion.

----

We are diverse in faith, ethnicity, history and spirituality, but aligned in our desire to practice our faith in tangible ways. We are believers in what is good, what is right, and what is just.

We affirm seven Principles, the first of which is a deep recognition of each person’s inherent dignity and worth.

• 1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    • 2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    • 3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    • 4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    • 5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    • 6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    • 7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
  • darth frosty
    darth frosty

HMM so I can be a dark Lord of the Sith and a member of UU...COOL!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Even in the Old Republic, there was technically no law against being Sith.

That's why Palpatine's scheme was so clever and effective; he used the Jedi Order's own code of ethics to manuever them into becoming honest-to-God traitors to his legally appointed government.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I can't repeat the joke/comment about them in this area. No one believes they are Christian. It isn't that anyone thinks they are bad. The Ethical Culture people share the same rap. I would go to their whatever if I did not have my own.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I attended a few services at the UU in town recently, and appreciate what they do in the community, and their welcoming attitude to all peoples, no matter what orientation they have in life, belief, or otherwise.

I have a very good friend who introduced me to their principles years ago on a little card she carries in her wallet. I read them and thought, "Wow, I already embrace those ideals!" Basic laws of living and cooperation, IMHO.

Last November they had a Thanksgiving dinner for those without family, older couples, and whoever wanted to attend for whatever reason, etc. As a holiday loner, I attended the dinner and had a grand time meeting new people (like a Dutch couple in their mid-80s) and feeling like part of something that day; something I haven't experienced my entire life. One void filled — check! I plan to go back this year.

The services are diverse and interesting. I haven't gone enough to figure out what kind of a spiritual connection I have there, other than just being around a group of open-minded people who can help me expand my horizons and help me drop some of the JW baggage I carry. I always feel funny when churches have the few minutes of "say hello and shake your neighbor's hand" thing... because of my introversion and it feels forced. Anyway, different strokes...

As I grow I'm becoming more open to these experiences. I'll enjoy attending again... it's hard getting out of bed on a Sunday morning when you *don't have to*. 25 years of mandatory 3 meetings a week as a JW will do that to you.

You can always visit just to check it out. YMMV.

Phae

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Phae,

Thanks for the info in your post. This past Thanksgiving I had a major problem with socialization and food. It is not a day that you want to be alone. The Power of Thinking Positively church advertised a meal for $30. When I saw the ad, though, they had long been sold out. My church in PA used to do events for those far from family. I spent some wonderful holidays. Sadly, I just bought a few slices of Turkey and relish from Whole Foods.

I try to volunteer so at least I am doing something productive. There is a long waiting list to volunteer. It is much worse at Christmas.

I will try the Unitarians. Of course, my sister is close but no invite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit