Naturalism is Dead - Why Are Believers Stuck in the Past?

by Perry 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

Sigmund Freud, Karl Marx and Charles Darwin are considered the pillars of modern western thought. They differed in many ways but had one thing in common—they were reductionists who claimed that all higher realms of existence could be explained by lower natural causes. They were the pillars of naturalism.

But their ideas were tested during the twentieth century and found wanting. Freud was the first fall. Incidents in his career were cited to call into question both his integrity and his scientific competence, and psychiatry seemed to make more progress through medication than through Freudian analysis. The collapse of the Soviet Union in the late 1980s inflicted a death blow on Marxism, which is now seen as not only failing to deliver its promised utopia but as creating an inhumane tyranny. Darwin is the last man standing, but his theory is rapidly eroding as modern biological science reveals amazing complexity and design that cannot possibly be explained by Darwin’s proposed mechanism of random mutations and natural selection.

Get the T-Shirt here

Its been brought out many times on this board that there is enough information in the Human DNA to fill volumes of books stacked from the earth to the moon 500 times.

A while back a couple of Harvard boys figured out how to cram more than 700 terabytes of information into a gram of DNA.

As amazing as the DNA storage system is, it does not even begin to address the source of all the complex infromation. Information is the same regardless of whether it is stored in DNA, a hard Drive or text books.

For some strange reason there seems to be an abundance of naturalists on this board, in spite of these facts.

Mark Twain

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

Ignorant statements like this one made by 19th century humorist Mark Twain are presented as support for a naturalist world-view. How long are Naturalist believers going to hang on to this failed ideology?

• cofty
    cofty

modern biological science reveals amazing complexity and design that cannot possibly be explained by Darwin’s proposed mechanism of random mutations and natural selection.

Nonsense. Please tell me which recent books on evolution you have read.

I predict you will dodge this question regardless of how often I ask it.

The power of natural selection is far greater than Darwin could dare to imagine. Do some research on evolutionary developmental biology and you will see how silly your assertion is.

• Perry
    Perry

Cofty,

This thread isn't about evolution, it is about a FAILED worldview. Consider:

"This means 1 / 10 89190 DNA molecules, on the average, must form to provide the one chance of forming the specific DNA sequence necessary to code the 124 proteins. 10 89190 DNA's would weigh 10 89147 times more than the earth, and would certainly be sufficient to fill the universe many times over. It is estimated that the total amount of DNA necessary to code 100 billion people could be contained in ½ of an aspirin tablet. Surely 10 89147 times the weight of the earth in DNA's is a stupendous amount and emphasizes how remote the chance is to form the one DNA molecule. A quantity of DNA this colossal could never have formed."— R.L. Wysong, The Creation-Evolution Controversy, p. 115.

Except for stragglers like yourself, most have already moved into the UFO / Alien camp where they belong. Bill Clinton "wouldn't be surprised" and the Dawkins is already there.

What motivates the hangers on?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Darwin is the last man standing, but his theory is rapidly eroding as modern biological science reveals amazing complexity and design that cannot possibly be explained by Darwin’s proposed mechanism of random mutations and natural selection.

And yet, science, medicine and biology based on the fact of evolution works.

Do you have an alternative theory that explains the past and present and can predict the future? No? So, you have nothing.

• Viviane
    Viviane

BTW, nothing you have presented means that naturalism is dead. It just means that you have written a gian non-sequitur and are trying to take an argument from personal ignorance and incredulity and project it onto the whole of science.

• Perry
    Perry

"the fact of evolution"

Like the kind that produced DNA? The one that stastically needs more DNA than could fill the whole universe? Is that the evolution you are talking about?

• cofty
    cofty

This means 1 / 10 89190 DNA molecules, on the average, must form to provide the one chance of forming the specific DNA sequence necessary to code the 124 proteins.

What means?

You have plucked a giant number out of context with zero facts or evidence. Do you even understand the first thing about the connection between DNA and proteins? Precisely how do you justify that number?

You claim its not about evolution then you make assertions about the evolution of DNA.

Is your point about abiogensis or evolution or communism or psychoanalysis.

I have never seen such a confused OP. Do you actually have a point?

My question still stands - Please tell me which recent books on evolution you have read.

I predict you will dodge this question regardless of how often I ask it.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I have just scanned this proposition, and have decided to take off my clothes and practice naturism. FREEDOM.

There is a tacit appeal to ignorance in this argument. If we don't understand it, it must be big sky-daddy. If we do understand it and start manipulating natural things to our own benefit we are playing god.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am a believer and this thread embarasses many believers. Freud contributed much to modern thought. He was important even if other theorists improved psychoanalsysis. I can't believe modern art or literature without Freud. I read all of Freud in college. The class was helpful.

Mark Twain - I love him. You are pulling a Witness. Darwin is a giant.

Later people will almost always improve over the first people b/c others are able to ride their coat tails.

• cofty
    cofty

Still waiting Perry......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit