Change of mindset.

by thedog1 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

See how much you recognize:

Freedom of Mind (by Steven Hassan)

CULT: Tightly controlled, high-pressure social environment. Limit access to outside information (Page 3)

Some religious cults have “An elite group that claims to know the real meaning of Scripture” (Page 4)

They rail on about how all the other Churches are dead and unscriptural (Page 7)

Threatening Prophecies (Page 12)

“Love” depends on meeting expectations and goals (Page 13)

Demand for purity: Establishing impossible standards for performance, thereby creating an environment of guilt and shame. No matter how hard a person tries, he always falls short, feels bad and works even harder. (Page 17)

Sacred Science: The belief that the group’s dogma is absolutely scientifically and morally true, with no room for questions or alternative viewpoints (Page 17)

Dispensing of existence: The belief that people in group have the right to exist and all ex-members and critics or dissidents do not (Page 17)

Cult control is a social process that encourages obedience and conformity. It discourages autonomy and individuality. The group’s dogma becomes the person’s only concern (Page 19)

Thought Reform: Create a tightly controlled system with a closed system of logic, wherein dissenters feel their questioning indicates something inherently wrong with them (Page 20)

Behavior Control (Page 22)

• Dictate with whom the member lives and associates

• Restrict leisure and entertainment

• Encourage group-think (not stumbling others)

• Impose rigid rules & regulations

Information Control (Page 23)

• Discourage access to non-cult sources of information

• Internet, Critical Information, Former Members, Keep members busy

• Outsider versus insider doctrines

• Encourage spying on other members

• Extensive use of cult-generated information, including magazines and other media

• Misquotations, statements from non-cult sources taken out of context

• Unethical use of confession

Thought Control (Page 24)

• Members required to internalize the groups doctrine as “the truth”

• Instill Black and White thinking

• Good versus Evil; Us versus Them

• No critical questions about leaders, doctrine or policy allowed

• Alternative belief systems viewed as evil

Emotional Control (Page 25)

• Make the person feel that problems are their own fault – never the leader or group

• Excessive use of guilt – You are not living up to your potential

• Excessive use of fear

• Fear of the outside world

• Fear of losing one’s salvation

• Fear of leaving the group or being shunned by the group

• Phobia indoctrination

• No happiness or fulfillment possible outside of the group

• Terrible consequences if you leave

• Shunning of those who leave, fear of being rejected by friends and family

• Never a legitimate reason to leave; Those who leave are weak, unspiritual, worldly or seduced by sex

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Flipin eck tiktaalik, cut him some slack dude, he's posting on an apostate website already, let him go at his own pace!

Not everyones situation allows for a quick exit...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Not everyones situation allows for a quick exit..." True, but it is a difficult balancing act, staying in when you know TTATT.

It is also bad for your mental health and overall well-being. Few can keep it up for long without much damage to themselves,and not least to their personal integrity.

If someone is like I was, and still am, a real lover of truth, to live a lie is almost unbearable, a speedy exit is the best remedy.

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's nice to see you have a change of mindset, and you view your students as good decent people. I agree with phizzy that you can cause your self health problems if you continue to practice a lie in the WT now you know the real truth.

Keep us informed of your exit plan thedog1

Kate xx

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I was still serving as an elder when I had my awakening! For years I used the 'position' to bring reasonableness to the BOE on matters of df'ing and other things. I finally could no longer give talks and meeting parts that espoused the view of the WTBTS/GB and resigned. The body was shocked and disappointed since I was a long standing elder /jw. God did it feel good to rid myself of the hipocracy and bs. Life now seems real. It was not easy but then is anything worthwhile ever easy?

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

saving for later

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit