Episode 2 KICKS A**!! (No spoilers)

by Xander 31 Replies latest social entertainment

• Xander
    Xander

Just caught the midnight screening of episode II. Yeah, I know (it was actually a mostly normal crowd, only 2 fairly cute young ladies as Jedis and one Darth Maul showed up - no stormtroopers, though )

This is exactly everything episode I should have been. Watching the movie, everything in the rest of the series just 'clicks'. The origins of pretty much everything you see in the original trilogy can be seen, the explanation of SO MUCH is given.

As a movie on its own? Hmmmm....dunno. Acting isn't bad, but certainly won't win any oscars. The music and special effects are certainly breathtaking, though. Some of the dialog seems awkward, but the overall story is VERY good.

(Oh, and Miss Portman is DEFINATELY the hotty )

Sam Jackson is awesome - he just has a presence that works well in the movie.

Yoda kicks ass. DJs on the morning radio commented he steals the movie with his scene - you'll know which one. (Oh, and Jango Fett kicks ass, too)

LOT of fan-pleaser moments. Jar-Jar IS back in the movie, but only has about 5 lines, and none of them are really bad. I think playing him up to be such a dope in the first one actually works now. One, well, what could be described as a pivotal decision to the whole series, ends up having to be made by him. And, because of episode I, you KNOW he'll make *exactly* the wrong decision - there isn't even any doubt.

So, who does the 'comic relief'? Well, it's back to the interaction of C-3P0 and R2-D2, which is quite where it belongs, thank you.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey xander, click here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=27757&site=3

i haven't seen it yet and will probably wait until the hype dies down a bit before i go. :)

• dubla
    dubla

i saw it as well, and i have mixed feelings on it. there wasnt quite as much action as id anticipated overall (it seemed to drag at times with all the political explanations), but the action scenes were overwhelming with cinematic flare and quantity. the movie on its own was great imo, but for much of the movie it didnt have the typical "star wars" feel....almost felt more like a fantasy (lotr), or futuristic film (fifth element). the special effects were of course extremely visual.....if you saw the prequels first, youd say amazing cgi, but seeing the originals first, it almost feels like too much cgi at times. there were some VERY cheesy parts, but i suppose thats too be expected. jango fett had some great scenes, but overall i was extremely dissapointed with the villains and their lack of a scare factor (even jango fett seemed very normal, and count dookie was a big zero in my book). all in all, it was just light years away from what i was expecting, so that made it tough to judge on the first go round......i think seeing it a second time and knowing the direction its heading will be more enjoyable (and ill probably feel i was much too critical the first time). i think im a sucker for the first classic trilogy, and so far the prequels just havent felt the same.

aa

• Xander
    Xander

Saw that thread, too - but reb has some spoilers that kinda ruin the movie. Won't mention them here, obviously because of the 'no spoilers' tag on the thread.

*I* liked it. Almost as good as 'Empire Strikes Back'. Certainly better than 'A New Hope', anyway.

Like I said, a LOT of 'fan moments'. Little details, like noticing the symbol of the Galactic Republic is the same symbol used by the Galactic Empire. The origin of so much of the universe we see in the later movies.

I've mentioned it to my coworkers (one of which has never seen a Star Wars movie yet!): the kids today who see the whole series from Ep1-6 in order will be getting a MUCH bigger and MUCH better story than those of us who saw the last 3 first.

Granted, the last 3 is a decent self-contained story, but nothing epic. Watching all 6, you'll get an actually compelling tale of the rise, fall into temptation, and final redemption of a great character.

Watching the movie not as a stand-alone event, but as merely part of a much larger saga changes it, I think.

Xander F

--George Santayana

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Im happy you liked it Xander.

I agree with you, it was amazing.

You cannot please everybody, and some people are disgusted because Lucas isnt using puppets.

{spoilers ahead, read at your own risk, or if youve already seen the movie and wish to discuss it with me)

It was mentioned in an interview with him that he will explain the digital effects and everything looking cleaner and more profound in the prequel series and especially during The Clone Wars (Ep II and III) versus the OT looking darker and more rough because after the Clone Wars it is a virtual nuclear holocaust where everything is scrap metal and barely put together.

I think the Yoda fight scene definitely steals the show, but I have to say that the scene with Anakin at the Tuskan Raider camp finding his mother and holding her dead body in his arms, then leaves the tent with his mother's corpse and ignites his saber etc, then carries his mother's body into the Lars homestead, and then still later reveal to Padme that he slaughtered women and children was equally moving. Yoda sensing his pain all the way on Coruscant... deep stuff. I read the Episode II novel, and it explained the scene in much more vivid detail.

Anakins anger and rage draining from the Force was so powerful it awoke Yoda from meditation on Coruscant. The events took place on Tatooine, and in proximity to Coruscant that is all the way across the galaxy. One must remember the Jedi were prevalent in this time period so for one single entity to cause such a ripple was astounding (he is The Chosen One you know ;) )

In the film, you hear Qui Gon Jinn's voice. In the book, Yoda heard Qui Gon Jinns voice also, but was confused because he couldnt believe that a Jedi could manifest his own presence beyond the grave. (Lucas ties in the spectre ability from the OT and explains it in III)

Mace Windu fighting Jango Fett (Sam Jackson is a bad mofo Jedi in this one) and Count Dooku revealing the plans for the Death Star... so much from the OT is explained.

Anakin getting the mechanical hand at the end of the movie.. the transformation to machine begins...

Some people dont appreciate a film the first time they see it.. but I doubt anyone can disagree that it was not MUCH better then Episode I.

Oh man, Im going to see it again today. Then again, I am a StarWars freak.

It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.
    WT 11/15/1963 page 688 paragraph 3

• Xander
    Xander

GAH - reb - the thread says NO SPOILERS!!! *bweep*bweep*bweep* danger - Will Robinson - danger - edit edit edit....

Xander F

--George Santayana

• dubla
    dubla
    I think the **** fight scene definitely steals the show, but I have to say that the scene with Anakin at the Tuskan Raider camp AFTER he leaves the tent......

i agree, and also my two favorite parts of the movie.

You cannot please everybody, and some people are disgusted because Lucas isnt using puppets.
    come to think of it, from what ive written so far (on this and the other thread) says exactly that. i guess because the puppets looked real, and the new creatures look like cartoon.

hey reborn.....better put a spoiler alert on the top of your post, or do a little editing......the movie has only been out for a matter of hours you know .

aa

• D8TA
    D8TA

Wheeeeew, okay saw it and I'm a bit mixed as well;

My opinion:

Hayden Christenson was great, these prequals are to follow Anakin's journey in to the darkside, becoming Darth Vader. Does he do it? SUPERBLY! I'd like to point out to the "first time viewers", when you watch the film the second time...THIS IS THE MOVIE Anakin becomes Darth Vader. Not in the suit, Not in the mask, not in NAME...but in "turning to the darkside"...ANAKIN IS EVVVVIIILLLL! Hayden's job in acting accomplishes this with his subtle arrogance in the beginning...right in to the middle of the flick where he makes that plunge (YOU'LL KNOW THE SCENE, and THE OTHER SCENE THAT CONFIRMS IT WITH HIS WORDS) in to the abyss.

Ewan McGregor...OH...MY...GOD! You can not, and will not, find anyone that can play Obi-Wan-Kenobi better then this man. . .other then Alec Guiness that is. Alec Guiness started the character, and Ewan inherits the "robes" to a "T". Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.

Natalie Portman....oh oh. WHOOOOPS! What happened? I felt her acting a bit "disjointed". I sometimes felt her struggeling with the portrail of her character. Something just felt missing. I enjoyed her in Phantom Menace, but something just didn't fall in place with her character in Attack of the Clones. At times she was "spot on", and then a few scenes later she seemed "lacking". I can't tell if this is her doing, or George didn't do a good job in guiding her thru some scenes...mostly the "romantic" ones. Her action sequences, and all acting done without Hayden Christenson worked...but when you put the two actors together...the chemistry was mixed. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Sam Jackson I can't give a nonbiased opinion...he ownZ Mace, he lives Mace, he breaths Mace. Mace is badass. For second time viewers, if you feel a certain part in the movie was "short" with him batteling someone near the end in the arena...it's meant to be that way. The SOMEONE was giving Obi-Wan some ass kicking earlier in the film...the short part at the end in the Arena with Mace dealing with this person is meant to be "quick". Mace is a Jedi Master, second to Yoda...thus defeating this SOMEONE quickly...making this SomeOne Mace's biotch.

All other characters: R2-D2, C-3P0, Christopher Lee, Ian McDiarmind etc. and secondary characters....no probs, did their parts well and kept me in the suspension of disbelief. I'm content with it, and liked it.

Now to Yoda. See the movie. Just...see the movie. Stole the show, you'll be hoping George shows more in Episode III. What is in Episode II, is enough, but please George...MORE! MORE! MORE! Yoda kicks ass....I...We...EVERYONE....WANT MORE! To point out: When all is said and done near the end of the flick, take speacial note with what Yoda does with his cane. Absolutely BRILLANT! Like he really "needs" it...that clever little green kick ass machine.

Over all I admit, it's better than Phantom and Return of the Jedi...but I can't put it above Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars A New Hope. Word of advice to Mr. Lucas....I noticed YOU ASSITED THE EDIT of the film...uh, please hire an EDITOR next time..and let THEM do their job. Part of the disruption in the flow of the movie was due a few parts that were...ack...poorly edited. Don't get me wrong...ALL of the Action scenes were excellent, but uh, some of the inbetween stuff (romance, story progression)...ouch. Noticable to the "casual" eye OUCH that is.

I'm a fan. A BIG STAR WARS FAN. The story of the movie works for me, but I strongly suggest that for the "casual" movie goer, REWATCH the Original Trilogy and Phantom Menace. Perhaps pick up the Attack of the Clones novel to get a much more aquianted relationship with the story.

The Clones...yep, you are witnessing the "first" generation of the Stormtroopers of the original trilogy (Han, Leia, Luke story). In the Attack of the Clones, you see the "birth" of the Empire. And be careful who you cheer for, you may end up cheering for the bad guys and don't even know it....till you view the movie again. George Lucas accomplishes something in the art of storytelling with THIS movie. Look for it. The truth can serve those with evil intentions, and to weave it in to society en masse in such a underhanded way...!WOW!...George Lucas accomplishes something here.

So In my Rankings:
    1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) STAR WARS A NEW HOPE
    3) Attack of the Clones
    4) The Phantom Menace
    5) Return of the Jedi

D8TA

• Xander
    Xander

Ah, hell, since everyone else is doing it:

SPOILER WARNING

Okay, did your theater go nuts when Yoda did his 'karate stance'? OMG, people just went CRAZY chearing. That kicked *SO MUCH* ass, it's not even funny.

As I mentioned in the other epII thread, I like the irony. And you almost feel sad for Anakin - it's easy to see how he becomes Vader. He really ends up believing he is doing good by bringing order to the galaxy.

Xander F

--George Santayana

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yoda kicks ass!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit