When did the arrangement change from congregation servant to elders

by Deceived 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deceived
    Deceived

Does anyone remember when the arrangement changed from having 1 Congregation Servant to the body of elders arrangement.

I have been out of the religion for so long I am getting a little rusty on the changes that happened. I am writing down my Memoirs and right now I am recounting my teenage years as the daughter of a Congregation Servant. There was a big change in our family life when I was 15 because of the change in the arrangement. It was significant for my Father and for my parents spirituality but I can't remember what exact year it happened and what the exact changes were.

I am thinking it was 1963 or 1964? My Father had been the Congregation servant for 6 years and then he stepped down because he didn't agree with the new arrangement. He is dead now so I can't ask him about it but thinking there was a lot of politics involved and he wouldn't have liked that.

• sir82
    sir82

It was 1972. I don't remember the exact date.

• snowbird
    snowbird

They should have stuck with servant.

I began to study in 1973 and was baptized in 1974; I witnessed a lot of upstart young ones appointed as elders.

Some were ok, but others were downright arrogant.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Deceived:

I was at the Gilead graduation in the spring of 1972. Brother Knorr said 'we are going to try the new arrangement (elder) here at Bethel to see if it works.' Not verbatim, but I do recall specifically 'to see if it works.' It was a very rough start, what with much fighting and recriminations as to who did and did not qualify, so I heard.

It began in the congregations in the fall of '72.

CoCo

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

it was a company servant, because Rutherford wanted to run an army and termed many things in army terms.

• Deceived
    Deceived

Thank you everyone for your help.

For some reason my understanding was that my Dad resigned in 1964 as Congregation servant because he didn't like that they were introducing a body of elders. I guess I have that wrong. My Dad did quit the whole JW thing around 1972 so maybe he knew it was brewing before or I got mixed up and it was when he quit in 1972 that the change among other things didn't sit right with him..

My Dad gave his whole soul to the Watchtower Organization, gave up his good job, sold his house, hauled us out to where the need was great and lived off of meager wages by cleaning stores part time. Then 6 years later he must have seen something was wrong. My Mom and Dad revived their spirituality after a year of laying low and became special pioneers for several years. Then suddenly my Dad just quit everything and he never went back.

I Wish so much he knew about the exposure of the truth about the truth now but expecially I wish I could ask him what was going on with him then.

I will have to revise my story and leave it open as to what was going on.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yeah, the FS meeting was termed rendezvous.

Come here, you

To the rendezvous

Knock on doors

Interrupt snores

Preach the word

Of Samuel Herd

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A strange time that, in the Org. We had a number who had been serving who felt they did not qualify. Eventually a C.O came around and persuaded them they did.

I also remember they used to "rotate" positions every year, so P.O for one year, TMS the next WT conductor the next, and so on. This was disastrous, as guys who were not qualified in any way for the job found themselves in it, and the whole Congregation had to suffer agonies for a year at least.

Can you not see the hand of the Holy Spirit in this monumental cock-up ?

No, neither can I.

I got lots of flack for loudly criticising the rotating thing, and then it was all changed LOL. The good thing for me was, I could now coast along as M.S, making sure I never got to be an Elder. Suited me.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember that Rendezvous switch over too, that one didn't last too long!

I wonder what the GBs were drinking that night went Jehovah spoke to them directly and said change the name of the Tuesday Night Study to rendezvous ? (I remember when it used to be called Area Study, what happened to that title?)

• hoser
    hoser

Back calls were return visits

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit