I've never seen this scripture quoted in the WT

by UnConfused 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

1 Cor 10:27

If an unbeliever invites you and you want to go, eat whatever is set before you, making no inquiry on account of your conscience.

I suppose that would mean it's OK to go eat with unbelievers?

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

Wow, where is that quoted?

• pixel
    pixel

Good.

New Living Translation
    If someone who isn't a believer asks you home for dinner, accept the invitation if you want to. Eat whatever is offered to you without raising questions of conscience.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    If one of the unbelievers invites you over and you want to go, eat everything that is set before you, without raising questions of conscience.

American King James Version
    If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and you be disposed to go; whatever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

It's the orginal don't ask don't tell

27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

In context it looks like this to me : eat anything you want ((--blood included?--)), refrain only if you know it will bother someone else's coscience. So I suppose if you're eating with an unbeliever, Christian conscience is a non-issue.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

It does inadvertenly seem to pose some issues for the JW teachings. I wonder how they would explain it away? Maybe if your bible study invites you to stay for dinner? And does that mean it is ok to eat meat that wasn't bled properly as long as you don't ask?

If it was me, I would kind of hope that they made some pot brownies but didn't tell me.

• prologos
    prologos

well, jesus spend a few days with the samaritans of the lady at the well, he must have eaten with them? follow in his footsteps. sure it was not kosher food either.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The Bible is also more lenient about the holidays than the WTS

Colossians 2:16

" Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon or of the Sabbath day "___KJV

The WTS only stick to scripture that fits thier bill

all others they ignore

• blondie
    blondie

Looking at the context might help:

23 All things are lawful,* but not all things are advantageous. All things are lawful, but not all things build up.+ 24 Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person.+

25 Eat whatever is sold in a meat market, making no inquiry because of your conscience, 26 for “to Jehovah* belong the earth and everything in it.”+ 27 If an unbeliever invites you and you want to go, eat whatever is set before you, making no inquiry on account of your conscience. 28 But if anyone says to you, “This is something offered in sacrifice,” do not eat because of the one who told you and because of conscience.+ 29 I do not mean your own conscience, but that of the other person. For why should my freedom be judged by another person’s conscience?+ 30 If I am partaking with thanks, why am I to be spoken of abusively over that for which I give thanks?+

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

When the Law was dissolved then all foods were clean. Many Jews with weak consciences had issues with the change. We are not to pronounce as unclean, anything that God has declared clean. So what is food sacrificed to idols? Nothing but food. The God isn't real, so the sacrifice is nothing either. So yeah, don't ask and don't tell. If an Eldub doesn't ask me if I ate dinner with some worldly people, then I won't have to tell them it's none of their business.

I would think that the general flavor would apply to other aspects of life. What is a Yoga position, for instance? What is a boxing class? What is a shooting range? Think of all the things that JWs get offended at. How many are due to a weak conscience?

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit