Maybe moving! Need some advice

by Jon Preston 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Honesty
    Honesty

I lived in Florida for 17 years and loved it. Although I lived close to the east coast (about 25 minutes from New Smyrna Beach) I liked the gulf coast better. My work kept me tied to the east coast but if I had a choice it would be the gulf coast south near Sarasota or somewhere around Pensacola.

• KWJoe
    KWJoe

I've lived in Key West for 13 years....love it here, but is very expensive. Also lived in Stuart. Beautiful town on east coast with a tropical feel. I also love the Ft. Myers area. When I retire, it will be to either Stuart or Ft. Myers.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Fort Myers! Shhhhh. Keep it a secret. Go somewhere else. Nothing good in Southwest Florida . . . but, have Spring Training for the Twins and Red Sox, plenty of theater, shopping, loads & loads of doctors, colleges, car dealerships, VA hospital, Miami & Tampa are each about 2 hours away drive, have a new airport, a melting pot of people from UK, Germany, and Mid-West, sprinkled with a few from Boston & NYC, great fishing, lots of fresh shrimp/stone crabs/fresh fish/fruits/veggies all year long, beaches, boating, great kayaking, biking trails, palm trees, great air quality, and best weather in the US from October 15th to May 15th. Seriously don't move to Fort Myers, Lee County, or Collier County! Stay in Tampa.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Jon we always used to vacation on the gulf coast when I was a kid. Very family oriented.

• snakeface
    snakeface

Come to Tampa! I've been here since 1989. Job market is relatively good, housing is good, lots to do and see....feel free to PM me.

• AnneB
  • Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I'm in FL! PM me :)

• snakeface
    snakeface

Um....aren't you supposed to move to where the need is greater? Learn a different language, sell all your belongings.......?

Just kidding.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Do your research before you move. Find where the jobs are, what they pay, how the school districts measure up. After you decide on a couple places, could you take a couple long weekends to check them out? You don't want any regrets.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Its really about budget as well. I have family in Lakeland and they really like it. You can get a home for 50K that is very serviceable, and it seems to be a generally growing community. It is 45 min to an hour each way to Orlando or Tampa. So if you picked up a job there, it wouldn't be a crazy commute.

Lakeland worth loking into. i think it was named one of the up and coming cities in the nation a couple years ago. not sure how thats working out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit