Sledgehammer subtlety: The insidious reworking of Micah 6:8

by rory-ks 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

mynameislame - "It is sounding more and more like they are up to something nefarious."

Authoritarian regimes are always up to somethig nefarious, the most significant being survival at any cost.

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

I don't think it is a question of, "Well, some translations do use the word require, the New World Translation is not wrong in using this word..." The fact of the matter is that back in 1958 the translation committee saw fit to word this verse, "What is Jehovah asking back from you." It presents the face of a kindler, gentler Jehovah - a Jehovah that can be in dialogue, like with Abraham.

Today, the Society have taken the decision to alter this to, "What is Jehovah requiring of you?"

...and I think that says something.

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

Oh, and Clarity, the verse you're thinking of is Zephaniah 2:3, and it remains pretty much unchanged.

Original: "Seek Jehovah, all you meek ones of the earth, who have practiced His own judicial decision. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably you may be concealed in the day of Jehovah's anger."

2013 Revision: " Seek Jehovah, all you meek ones of the earth, w ho observe his righteous decrees. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably you will be concealed on the day of Jehovah’s anger."

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The change from "asking back from you" to "requiring of you" is consistent with their stated mission of simplifying the wording and is apparently closer to the original meaning.

• vanyell
    vanyell

I don't think that the translation is incorrect, as problemaddict has pointed out. It's just that for a JW drone, the subtle phrasing is like one of those hidden triggers planted deep in their psyche. Like a sleeper agent..

Ask of is a gentler version of require. As some Bible translators have chosen to emphasis the lovingkindess of the God of Israel to his chosen people.

There is a related verse in which God talks of Himself like a mother hen wanting to gather her chicks under her wings...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

All the R&F worry about is that it is "pretty".

They don't read it.

They don't study it.

They don't question it.

Episkopoi vs Presbiteroi? Are you kidding me?

Doc

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well spotted. To love and to cherish can describe how we feel about someone or something. These words one can get away with saying they are interchangable. But loyalty and kindness are completely different. This change make me feel nauseous

It reminds me of the song "Listen obey and be blessed"

It drives home that loyalty and obedience are what the GB want from JWs, and kindness is not a factor anymore. Good catch. Kate xx

• Comatose
    Comatose

Oh, and Clarity, the verse you're thinking of is Zephaniah 2:3, and it remains pretty much unchanged.

Original: "Seek Jehovah, all you meek ones of the earth, who have practiced His own judicial decision. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably you may be concealed in the day of Jehovah's anger."

2013 Revision: " Seek Jehovah, all you meek ones of the earth, w ho observe his righteous decrees. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably you will be concealed on the day of Jehovah’s anger."

god what a dick. Be good and do all you should and maybe just maybe if your lucky and gods not on his period he just might save you. Gee thanks for the kind help god.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Yeah, back when I was still "in" (and more-or-less still subscribed to WT eschatology) and realized that being a dutiful JW wouldn't neccessarily immunize me against the End of the World, my forst thought was, "well jeez, what incentive is there to stay, then?"

• Bella15
    Bella15

The Watchtower CORPORATION of NEW YORK CITY ... will ALWAYS pick the translation that will fit their AGENDA, PROPAGANDA, BRAIN WASHING, CONTROL, etc.

We as ExJws know what they are trying to do by translating it that way ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit