Did Jesus say his followers would be witnesses of Jehovah?

by blondie 53 Replies latest jw friends

• SAHS
    SAHS

“wasblind”: “ISAIAH 43:10 [‘You are my witnesses . . .’] was quoted before the Birth of the Christ.”

Good point! That same verse ends with, “. . . and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he.” (NIV) Clearly those to whom Isaiah’s quote had been directed (“you”) were of the ancient Jewish nation of Israel. The purpose of those ancient Israelites being God’s “witnesses” at that time was to bear witness to Him among the surrounding nations as an actual nation separate from other nations as God’s chosen people.

However, fast-forward to Jesus’ time – if Isaiah were alive at that time, then surely he would have recorded a scripture more along the lines of Jesus’ own words at Matthew 24:14: “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come” (NIV), with the understanding that those who would be preaching the gospel message in the Christian era could properly be called something like “Witnesses of Jesus”; i.e., “Jesus’ Witnesses!”

“zophar”: “Isn't it true that at John 5:32 "There is another who bears witness about me, and I know that the witness he bears about me is true." It is referring to Jehovah bearing witness to Jesus?”

This specific verse seems to refer to the Father, or Jehovah.

There are actually three different testimonies about Jesus referred to in this and the following scriptures: 1. that of Jesus himself, 2. that of his Heavenly Father, and 3. that of other men, specifically John the Baptist. Jesus says at John 5:33-35: “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.” (NIV)

Note, however, the following commentary specifically regarding John 5:32 pasted directly from “http://biblehub.com/john/5-32.htm”:

Pulpit Commentary

Verses 32, 37, 38. -

(a) The witness of the Father. Verse 32. - It is another that witnesseth concerning me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth concerning me is true. It is a mistake, with Ewald, De Wette, and many others, to suppose that this refers to the testimony of John the Baptist. By Augustine, Hengstenberg, Luthardt, Godet, Meyer, etc., it has been perceived that the "other" (ἄλλος) refers to the Father. Jesus expressly declines to receive John's testimony as his justification or sufficient vindication, and he contrasts it with the higher confirmation which in three distinct ways is already and continuously vouchsafed to him. The present tense, μαρτυρεῖ, is in striking contrast to the testimony of John already silenced by imprisonment or death. The methods of this testimony are subsequently analyzed and described.”

• zophar
    zophar

Maybe someone has been reading this board?

Look at the May WT Public Edition

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20140501/jehovahs-witnesses-believe-in-jesus/

Anthony and Tim having a Bible discussion using the Watchtower magazine

Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe in Jesus?

If they do, why don’t they call themselves Jesus’ Witnesses?

• smiddy
    smiddy

"And it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called christians ".Acts 11:26b note : followers of Jesus Christ were to be identified as christians BY DIVINE PROVIDENCE , and not jehovahs witnesses.

smiddy

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Designs I agree with your hypothesis using the name Jehovah in a Fundamental Christian Enviroment. The JWs have given the Divine Name a bad rap, I hear Christian Speakers on the radio use YHWH not near the vast volume they speak of Jesus Christ.

The name Jehovah made many members cringe, I think the Witnesses are the reason it's used in a conservative manner, I get your point though and agree people would attribute my use of the Divine Name to JWs and I might lose my audience or get strange looks. We already had a real life lab, remember how people looked at us when we used the name Jehovah instead of Jesus Christ?

Smiddy, I agree the New Testament - Greek Scriptures sure mention Jesus Christ's name far more than the Watchtower care's to imagine. It's all because they wanted to be different, Judge Ruthernut could care less about Jehovah's name getting exhonerated, he wanted to try a little experiment even if it meant his disciples got some "tar and feathers", "mob beatings for no good reasons", "imprisonments", "angering Christedom's Clergy by their bombastic abusivie Speaker Cars, what a bunch of Trolls the Bible Students under the Judge were!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit