No more circuit assemblies

by justmeok 51 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is going to have two major effects. First, the witlesses will only waste one day instead of two during the a$$embly that would have been the Great Boasting Session because it was nurfed to a Big Boasting Session. Of course, they will expect everyone to go out in field circus during the day the other session would have happened.

The other is that nurfing the Great Boasting Session is also going to nurf the opportunities for finding mates. Each time they do that, it becomes harder to find anyone. Great way to ensure fewer children for the future, and hopefully fewer people becoming witlesses (barring Internet II, in which case people in the field would once again be deprived of the chance to cross-reference the religion). It also forces people to marry against their wills--to those who they are not attracted to, since opportunities are fewer.

Now, if they would only nurf it to zero day a$$emblies and no more boasting sessions. If this was the truth, their official site should get the kind of repeat traffic that Joy of Satan and similar web sites get--and they do it without any help from the Establishment. Why is it that people can't learn the truth simply by going onto jw.org and doing their research from that, without having to do any door to door? And, you could get all the benefits of a$$emblies simply by having YouTube videos uploaded, and it would make much more sense. But no, they need to waste everyone's time--and prevent anyone from getting decent jobs because of when the boasting sessions are (online, it wouldn't matter).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

FlyingHighNow - "...if only they can only figure out that the burden of thought control is causing thousands to leave, they could loosen their grip and stop causing such stress and sorrow."

I suspect they already know the burden is causing thousands to leave and are cool with it; 1 or 2 million hard-core followers are easier to manage than 7 or 8 million fence-sitters.

Pretty sure that the stress and sorrow don't weigh too heavily on their minds.

• steve2
    steve2

My now-deceased JW grandparents told fascinating stories of assemblies in New Zealand in the late 1920s through 1930s that were longer than one week's duration and each day's programme finished close to 9.00pm. Yikes! They traveled hundreds of miles on gravel roads with three preschoolers, one of whom was my lovely mother. They glowed with fond reminiscence.

We were pussies by contrast who moaned because we had to go to 4-day conventions that were nearby and finished daily at 4.30 - 5.00pm.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Assuming the WTS even lasts that long without completely fragmenting, we'll probably see the circuit assemblies trimmed down to either two half-days or just one full day per year, with the district regional conventions trimmed down to one-and-a-half/two days at most (in assembly halls only) in the next five to ten years, with at least half the talks by GB members streamed over a broadband connection and digitally projected on a movie screen at the front of the hall.

Maybe even sooner, considering how rapidly the downsize-style changes seem to be coming at us... Hell, at the rate they're going, they'll have sold all the KHs and AHs by 2030 and gone to strictly streaming sermons that JWs watch at home (in HD3D where available). Evangelizing work will be spam email directing the recipients to JW.org.

1000 years from now, some confused archaeolology grad student will submit his thesis on an obscure little 20th-century group that - for lack of info - he'll mistakenly call "Watchtarians" or something.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

I thought that the matra was that JW follow/mirror OT events. Case in point: Fall of Jericho = Great Tribulation, so on the 7th day they march 7 times not once. So not much speeding up if you have less and less meetings. It would be similar to asking the Jericho marchers to only go 1/4 around and then march back on the last day - rather odd.

The GB have the same capacity for logic as polititians. Polititians think that economic stimulus is through tax cuts to increase spending, whereas tax cuts simply increase saving. In similar fashion the dubs simply take that saved time and not spend it on FS, study or anything related spirtually rather they save it for some other more enjoyable pursuit such as putting their feet up at home.

I also suspect that the average dub is simply not giving the $$$ at the SAD/CA like they might of years ago, thus the GB is finding they are a loosing proposition. When things don't make you money, bail and bail fast - 1 day circuit assemblies make sense when you look to cut costs. Watch for off loading of those Assembly Halls to increase and the renting of the local Holiday Inn for a few hundred.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Assemblies were more social events than real 'instruction' to the masses. I hardly ever paid as much attention as I would at a KH because there were so many distractions and less supervision from people who knew who you were. The speakers always got cross with the attendees whenever they informed us that the program was to begin shortly. People kept on chattering like it didn't matter. Conventions were originally conceived to generate as much attention in the public and press for what was then an obscure movement. They have served their purpose long ago and are hardly needed anymore. In this day and age no media outlet is going to care if the JWs congregate at a sport stadium for 8, 7, or even 2 or 3 days. They became JW social events, and for this reason I think the GB is keen on reducing the days (and by extension, costs) of these gatherings. Herd the sheep in, talk up a huge book release and guilt everyone into donating for it and the costs of the assembly. That should only take a day. The rest is just rubbish and filler.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Didn't have time to read through posts now...Is this confirmed fo'sho'? Have you had the letter read at your hall?? I want to tell my wife about this announcement but want to be sure. Thanks.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Welcome justmeok, looking forward to hearing more from you.

• steve2
    steve2

yes tresdecu, this was in a letter sent to BoEs in recent weeks. Not sure though if when and if it will be announced. I think there is a link to the letter either on this or another thread.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Effective immediately, zone overseers will be called "headquarters representatives." The visit of a headquarters representative to a branch will be called a "branch visit" rather than a zone visit. Additionally, although the terms "international convention" and "special convention" will continue to be used, district conventions will now be called "regional conventions."

Furthermore, beginning with the 2015 service year, circuit assemblies will be

one day in length. Two such assemblies will be held each service year. The term "special assembly day" will no longer be used to denote a one-day circuit assembly. The district overseer will continue to serve one circuit assembly each year for each circuit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit