Just a little note now that Nelson Mandela's will is read

by TheOldHippie 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Nelson Mandela shared with his first wife, Evelyn, a passionate commitment to a cause. Unfortunately, it was not the same cause. Evelyn, who has died aged 82, was a Jehovah's Witness with no interest in politics.

As Mandela wrote in his autobiography, Long Walk To Freedom: "When I would tell her that I was serving the nation, she would reply that serving God was above serving the nation. A man and woman who hold such different views of their respective roles in life cannot remain close." Nevertheless, they were married for 13 years and had four children, one of whom died in infancy.

Apolitical though she was, Evelyn continued to pay the price of being a Mandela: the apartheid regime denied her a passport so she could not accompany her children to their private schools in neighbouring Swaziland. It was also Evelyn who had to find the money to pay their fees.

Born Evelyn Mase, in Engcobo, in the Transkei, she lost her father, a mineworker, while still a baby. Her mother died when Evelyn was 12, and she was sent to Soweto to join her brother, Sam, who was living with Mandela's great friend and mentor, Walter Sisulu (obituary, May 7 2003). Evelyn's mother and Walter's mother were sisters, and the families were very close. After high school in Soweto, Evelyn trained as a nurse.

It was in the early 1940s that she caught the eye of Mandela, then a frequent visitor to the Sisulu home. "She was a quiet, pretty girl, who did not seem overawed by the comings and goings," he wrote. They were married at the native commissioner's court in 1944, with Walter and Albertina Sisulu as witnesses. The wedding was a spartan affair because the couple could not afford a feast. Nor could they afford a home of their own, living first with her brother in Orlando East and then with her sister. Their first child, Thembi, was born a year later.

As Mandela became more involved with the ANC, he spent less and less time at home. Martin Meredith, in his biography of Mandela, claims he had affairs. In 1952, Evelyn spent several months in Durban training to become a midwife, while her husband's mother and sister took care of the children. Meredith reports that Evelyn returned to find Mandela's secretary installed in her home. Evelyn, a tough woman, threatened to throw boiling water over her and the woman left the house, but the affair continued.

Evelyn was never reconciled to living in Johannesburg. She wanted the family to return to the Transkei, where Mandela could take his place in the local Xhosa aristocracy. But it was her religious activities that caused the most trouble between them. The loss of her first daughter, Makaziwe, devastated Evelyn, and when another daughter, also named Makaziwe, was born in 1954, she took it as a sign from God and became a Jehovah's Witness.

The house became a battleground between religion and politics, with the children as cannon fodder. Evelyn took them to church and made them sell the Watchtower magazine around Soweto. Mandela lectured them on politics. Sisulu tried to intervene, but was told by a furious Mandela that he no longer loved his wife.

Evelyn gave him an ultimatum: choose between me and the ANC. It was no contest, and she and the children moved out. Shortly afterwards, Mandela met Winnie Madikizela, who became his second - and much more high-profile - wife in 1958.

Evelyn returned with the children to Cofimvaba, in the Eastern Cape, where she opened a grocery store. Tragedy struck again in 1969 when her oldest son, Thembi, was killed in a road accident. Mandela, by then serving life imprisonment on Robben Island, wrote of his pain at not being allowed to attend his son's funeral. He wrote, he said, to Evelyn, to do his best to comfort her.

She remained a Mandela until 1998, when she married a fellow Jehovah's Witness and retired Sowetan businessman, Simon Rakeepile. She is survived by her daughter Makaziwe, and her son Makgatho.

ยท Evelyn Rakeepile, born 1922; died April 30 2004

• outforever
    outforever

That was really interesting hippie.

I live in South Africa and did not know these details.

Thanks

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Both Winnie and Mandela attended her funeral. There was no fanfare - and he did not seemed fazed by that - He would not have been.

Evelyn loved him dearly but would not back down on her principles.

http://www.southerntimesafrica.com/news_article.php?id=9226&title=The%20Chequered%20Past:%20%20%20Mandela%E2%80%99s%20skeletons%20in%20the%20closet%20%20&type=69

btw OutForever I am in the Mother City [Thats not Roodekrans ok ]

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

So what about his will?

• Earnest
    Earnest

Thanks for that, OldHippie. In the film, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, it shows his early life with Evelyn including their conflict as he became more involved with the ANC and the tension in the household over his extramarital alliances.

She seems to have been an extraordinary woman in her own right.

• outforever
    outforever

With your post name it must be JHB! Afrikanman or Pretoria!

Just read in todays newspaper in Durban - he left his stafff monies as well: 9 people R50 000 each. They were so surprised: from his cook to his chauffeur.

His ex Winnie did not get anything.

His 4 Children: +/- R3.3 million each.

His 18 Grandchildren: 4 he left: R3.3 million: the rest R100 000

His wife (Graca'd 2 children) R3 million and from her previous marriage: 6 children: R100 000

Then he had property / left to Schools / Trusts / and some to the ANC to further reconciliation.

Yep that's it. wish he left me something haha

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I've read about Nelson Mandela and admire him a lot. He truly was a great man and like most great men he had a strong sexual side to his nature. Even Gandhi, whom we tend to think of as being a wholely ascetic person, exuded strong sexuality.

The film about mandela did not do enough justice to this side although I think Idris Elba could have portrayed Mandela's sexuality very well as he generally does exude this in the roles he has played. As an older man Mandela's became more dignified and after the many years in jail his passion seemed more controlled. I guess Idris Elba seems to have chosen to take his cue on how to play him from this later Mandela.

I agree, oldhippie, that both mandela and his wife Evelyn were passionately committed people although to very different causes.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Fathers of countries need to be cleaned up. Look at all the nonsense tales about George Washington. I recall the Gandhi film was highly criticized for including a small bit of sexuality. The man was married. Every American kid knows Geo. Washington and Lincoln myths. I expect that foreigners know more about why these men were considered great.

I missed the film in the theatres. So it is going to be Netflix.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

BOTR,

there's a lot of hagiography concering Gandhi and this has gripped imagination. In reality his non violent stance is believed by many to have held India back decades. The Mandela film touches on how Mandela faced the same issue - whether to fight for freedom even if it meant taking up arms or not. This part of the film was very good and I feel did give us some insight into his being on the cusp of the turning point with lots riding on his decision.

edit: I'm not recommending violence here but am interested in how and why people choose to take the paths they do when the fateful moment of destiny has come.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

BOTR here is another connection between Gandhi and Mandela and indeed Madela's pacifist wife Evelyn - South AFrica - Gandhi cut his political teeth in South Africa. While in South Africa he worked as a lawyer for wealthy muslims. He formed lasting friendships with them. He was also very influenced by pacifists who had just come out of WW1. when he returned to India his desire like others was to break free from colonialism but Gandhi also made it his aim that hindus and mulsims live together in peaceful non violent co-existence as well. Other political leaders wanted to press on while the time was ripe for India to be an independent nation free of colonial rule.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit