Huffington Post article today mentions JW end times prophecy

by Gypsy Sam 13 Replies latest social current

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/1914_rapture.html

I can't seem to make this clickable, but the picture speaks a thousand words.

Sylvia

Edited: It worked!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

“The Gentile Times have ended; their kings have had their day !"

Yes, those Rulerships disappeared just as Russell expected, and God's Kingdom now rules in their place.

Except, they didn't and it doesn't.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...To stand in subways, and at airports and supermarkets, and think that all the proud buildings, and all the shoppers with their new possessions, and their children and even their pets, are about to face a terrible judgment? It would load every minute with suspense. It would give every person and object a special dignity. That, I believe, is the lasting attraction of the prediction of the end of the world. It's like great art. It give us new eyes. It makes us see everything differently..."

This is very true; apocalyptic ideology is definately designed to make the "in-group" feel special, but there are other aspects that the article failed to mention that I would argue have even more impact on individuals' decision to join them:

- a strong majority of members are experiencing distinct feelings of alienation from the rest of society, for various reasons...

- some feel disenfranchised with the mainstreaming of their former religion, and are drawn to apocalyptic groups' almost universally conservative worldview...

- never underestimate the allure of schadenfreude; for some, the Biblical Apocalypse is the ultimate supernatural revenge fantasy.

• kaik
    kaik

I remember reading about Russell in 1914 sitting on the rooftop wrapped in white sheet and looking into the sky for any signs. I had seen also a picture of him like that, although very poorly made (old man with a white blanked around his shoulder). Russell was one point paranoid when the thunderstorm passed by. I am not sure how much is truth into it, but I am sure someone will have more information about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit