Ex- Jehovers Witnesses finds Christ...

by new hope and happiness 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Recentley i read Ray Franz book " Christian Freedom" and it occurd to me if he had lost his faith and become athiest the society would have delighted in that.

Why? I think had Ray turned athiest it would have been more easily " justified" in the mags what a " evil man he was" ....but maintaining his faith left the possibillity the society could be wrong.

I am athiest but i kept this to myself when i left..

Any comments?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They demonised poor old Ray anyway, but I do agree it is a good idea not to give JW's more than is necessary and therefore stop them thinking "Hey ! good old NH&H has left and seems to be doing O.K "

If I told my JW family that I no longer needed a Sky-Daddy I bet they would never listen to me again, beyond the Pale us poor old Atheists.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

I spoke to a guy I grew up with who's now an elder.

Even though he looked jumpy when I was saying some things about the Borg - he was at least listening (with a frown). Then he asked me what I thought of the bible.

I said I was an atheist... His whole face just went slack at the very word. Conversation over.

We continued to speak for a few moments, but his eyes were vacant. (It was actually quite creepy)

I think there is some truth to what you are saying. Some folks just will not listen to an atheist - the very mention of the word causes distrust and suspicion.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

This is a bit of a 'what if' which is difficult to quantify really.

I am an atheist but I do know that many non JW churches do look at the context of scriptures whereas the WBT$ only use scriptures to build their empire.

I can see why the churches have more appeal than the WBT$. Many churches are more accurate in their use of the book of fairytales Bible.Many churches are more loving too....no shunning.

Although I see all religion as crapper than crap I can see how disgusting, vile cults like the WBT$ could lose members to other faiths.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Lucid interesting...when James Dean was shooting a scene in East of Eden, in which he was asked by his father ( in real life) the very religiousr " Raymond massey"to recite Bible passages, Dean OFF SCRIPT improvised and said " f...k, sh.. and p... on the bible. This was to get the devoutley religiouse Masseys. angry reaction and it worked it made the scene....

My point is i think religiouse people are more sensitive to there " holy" books than athiests are to there books....maybe its because religiouse people think more with the heart and athiests with the head, or maybe i dont know what i am talking about....

• Laika
    Laika

I think you're right, in the same way it may have been a good thing that he never joined another established church and held on to a few unorthodox views, such as anti-trinitarian, annihilationist etc...

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Punk you say " although i see all religion as crapper than crap......" tell me do you think buddisam is a religion? i have found that it quite interesting, but i ignore the organisational teachings. My Aunts a quaker, and i like the idea of a meeting where everyone sits in silence...thats the best way to avoid the crap.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Yup - If someone can show I'm wrong about what I think... I learn much and am happy to have done so.

If someone can show a JW that they are wrong about what they believe... They lose eternal life with the fluffy lions and the treehouses.

I guess that's just too much at stake for some of them to even risk listening/reading. Phobia indoctrination at work, it seems.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

NH&H =

do you think buddisam is a religion?

I guess I'd probably pigeonhole them as a religion. Again, there's this whole thing about some bloke taught stuff and people follow. I don't like that really.

Quakers. Well, I'm sure there are a lot of genuine folk about but to follow a crowd and do as they do is the stuff I want to avoid now. I spent 50 years being told I was no good by some weirdos in Brooklyn via their stupid writings........everything that is bandwagon or the herd is now distasteful to me. I think that's why my boss once said that I was very 'contrary'.

So I guess to sum up, that anywhere people get together and revere or follow someone else.....that's where I remain abscent from.

I am now shunned by JWs and I don't care......sod 'em.......job done.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Punk you say " i guess to sum up, anywherw people get together and revere or folliw someone else....." and may i say that is why i am sick of football...may i also add in the nicest way, some posters here yourself included seem to be " revered". May be a better word is " respected". So i think having opinions is good and educational for all, but becomming a follower thats another thing...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit