What if...

by DeWandelaar 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I was having a short conversation with my neighbour. They are very nice people and they are Moslim. Because the weather is getting more extremer by the day (all over the world) and it was cold this morning I started talking about the weather. That I kind of feel that the seasons are somehow "shifting". Last year for example winter took more then a month longer than it was before and plantgrowth was delaying by about two months. That is most extrordinary.

Then she told me: "well... according to the Quran and the Bible these things would happen in the time of the end. Now it is even snowing in Sauodi Arabia which never occurs. They are signs that the end is near".

I know that many organisations around the globe are talking about the end. Not only witnesses but also muslims and christian denominations. I have pasted something about the blood moons a couple of times and for some reason, although i take it with quite a bit of salt, it somehow "tugs" on my brain. Not that I am scared or worried too much... but the questions arises... what if it IS the end (not saying that it necessarily is the JW version of the end)?!

It somehow is still interesting... but also depressing

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Neither the Quran or the Bible have any Provenance.

Both books come from oral traditions that were not put down in writing for decades or even centuries (in the case of the Quran).

A believer, using a kind of circular argument (fallacy) will claim that God/Allah miraculously made sure the words were transmitted accurately. if He could do that, why not do the more easy thing of preserving the written version in tact ?

"He" did not, the Quran has disputed parts, and as Prof Barton Ehrman says of the N.T, there are more differences/errors in the manuscripts than there are words in the New Testament !

As a kid, we played a game we called Chinese Whispers, one kid, in a circle of kids, would whisper a message in to the ear of the child next to her, and so on, we would all laugh uproariously at how garbled, often unintelligable, the mesage was by the time it got to the last kid. This all in acouple of minutes.

Imagine how mangled the stories etc in both of those Holy books became in the transmission over many lifetimes.

I think you have to get a handle on how the teaching of all these faiths, and any books the teachings are based upon, are simply hogwash.

The End will come for sure when our Sun burns out. Long after we are gone.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Phizzy, I totally agree with what you are saying but still... my eyes are not fooling me... I see that a lot of things that are surely are not natural are occuring. I do not believe in bible and quran prophecies BUT it IS disturbing what is happening!

In denmark and scandinavia they had the warmest winter in a LONGGGG time while in our country our butts were freezing off (AND also in a later period). In tropical lands hail and snow is occuring! They never even saw that in their lifetime! At least something is swifting so I was wondering if there is a scientific reason why this is occuring?

• steve2
    steve2

Humans will always find something to be alarmist about. Look at the centuries long messages end-times religions have preached. Decades ago, the apocalyptic alarm was around communism's insidious spread. Then it was poverty. Now it's climate change. The media thrives on fear - so too do religions.

• chicken little
    chicken little

I think the iceages are a proof that we ain't seen nothing yet! The earth has a cyclus, continents are moving and clashing, nothing is unusual for this planet. We just measure everything in how it effects us humans that is all.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Al Gore needs to give back his Nobel Peace Prize... or maybe be awarded another one. He has turned around the global warming trend!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Confirmation bias DeW...

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

How long has the earth been here? 4.5 billion years or so. Stop and think for a few minutes about that. We can't even comprehend living 1,000 years, let alone a million. Billions? Its crazy, I can't even get my mind around it.

The end has happened before, at the time of the dinosaurs for one. Over the last 540 million years there have been 5 major extinction events, check it out on wiki here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event (also has a good point to bring out to JWs...why are 98% of documented species now extinct? Pretty weird of Jehovah to create animals then kill them all off!)

Another one will happen at some point, but the chances of you or I being here when it happens are extremely low.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

Climate changes have been far worse even in our recent past. Look up the Little Ice Age. Also we live in a golden age compared to the Black Death period. Or the collapse of the Roman Empire.

• steve2
    steve2

Narcissism requires that each generation believes they are on the cusp of momentous events that will occur just around the corner because the world could not possibly last any longer than their life span.

The trouble with each generation is its forgiving elasticity:One generation extends into another generation and then another and another and so on.

The GB were right for all the wrong reasons about overlapping generations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit