Synopsis of the Jehovah's Witnesses

by Grunt 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Grunt
    Grunt

What you need to know about, "Jehovah's Witnesses."

1. Jehovah's Witnesses don't think just the Bible is enough:

The Watchtower, 5/1/57, pg. 274 -
    "God has not arranged for [His] Word to speak independently
    or to shine life-giving truths by itself.
    It is through his organization God provides this light."

2. Jehovah's Witnesses are told by this Organization that they should avoid, and shun family members, even parents or children, if they oppose the Organization.
    w81 9/15 29 If a Relative Is Disfellowshiped: "... Such a person is still related by blood or marriage, and so there may be some limited need to care for necessary family matters. Nonetheless, it is not as if he were living in the same home where contact and conversation could not be avoided."

3. Jehovah's Witnesses are told that not all people are "entitled" to the truth. Lying is OK sometimes, in fact telling the truth would be like "casting their pearls before swine."
    Insight book, vol. 2, page 244: "While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it. Jesus Christ counseled: "Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open." (Mt 7:6)"

4. Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe Jesus is the mediator for all men, notice the brackets in this answer in a questions from the readers quote:
    w79 11/15 Benefiting from "One Mediator Between God and Man" p. 2620 What, then, is Christ’s role in this program of salvation? Paul proceeds to say: "There is one God, and one mediator between God and men [not, all men], a man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all."—1 Tim. 2:5, 6.

5 Jehovah's Witnesses divide people into numerous classes, and then sub-divide. They teach only those going to heaven, the "144,000" are members of the New Covenant of Christ and that this covenant ends when the last one of them on earth dies. They teach that all other men are not really part of Christ's Covenant and that they only benefit as they assoicate with the 144,000, just as the "alien residents" benefited from being among the real Jews. They dare to take the role of Christ away from him and apply it to themselves by limiting his covenant to only them. From the same issue of the Watchtower quoted above w79 11/15
    They recognize that they are not spiritual Israelites in the new covenant mediated by Jesus Christ, nor part of the "chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation."—1 Pet. 2:9.

24 Yet they do benefit from the operation of the new covenant. They benefit from this just as, in ancient Israel, the "alien resident" benefited from residing in among the Israelites who were in the Law covenant.—Ex. 20:10; Lev. 19:10, 33, 34; Rev. 7:9-15.

25 To keep in relationship with "our Savior, God," the "great crowd" needs to remain united with the remnant of spiritual Israelites.

In the February 15, 1991 issue they make no bones about it:
    How and when would sinfulness be overcome? God first arranged for 144,000 heavenly ‘priests to our God to rule as kings over the earth’ with Christ Jesus. (Revelation 5:9, 10; 7:4; 14:1-3) Through them the benefits of the ransom will gradually be applied to mankind over a period of a thousand years.—1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Revelation 21:3, 4.

Through THEM the benefits of the the ransom will be GRADUALLY applied!!!

So, if you stop "associating" with these men they say you give up Christ as they are really your only connection. Christ deals with them, not you. In another place they refer to Christ as "Their Lawyer, Not Yours."

6. Jehovah's Witnesses are quick to mock other religions and to claim they are different. Notice how they condemn religon's who change their beliefs:

It is a serious matter to represent God and Christ in one way, then find that our understanding of the major teachings and fundamental doctrines of the Scriptures was in error, and then after that, to go back to the very doctrines that, by years of study, we had thoroughly determined to be in error. CHRISTIANS CANNOT BE VACILLATING - 'wishy washy' - about such fundamental teachings. WHAT CONFIDENCE CAN ONE PUT IN THE SINCERITY OR JUDGEMENT OF SUCH PERSONS." (Watchtower 5/15/76 p 298)

Then notice how they view their own changes in the Watchtower January 1/2000:
    18 As the years pass, Jehovah continues to give us further clarification of truth, including a clearer understanding of his prophetic word. (Proverbs 4:18) In recent years, we have been encouraged to look again with deeper understanding at – among other things – the generation that will not pass away before the end comes, the parable of the sheep and the goats, the disgusting thing and when it will stand in a holy place, the new covenant, the transfiguration, and the temple vision of the book of Ezekiel. It may be difficult at times to understand such updated explanations, but the reasons for them become clear in due course. If a Christian does not fully understand a new explanation of a scripture, he does well humbly to echo the words of the prophet Micah: “ I will show a waiting attitude for the God of my salvation”-Micah7:7.

Jehovah's Witnesses think all church members should eagerly listen to criticism of their churches:

Consequently, is it unchristian today to offer Bible-based comments about anothers religion? The scriptural answer must be No. True, criticism that reveals faults in the teachings or practices of someone’s religion might at first seem severe. Yet, how should one react? Not like those who became violently enraged over Stephen’s criticism. Rather, note the fine reaction of some Athenians who heard Paul’s comments. They accepted the Bible truth and became believers, to their eternal benefit. Compare Acts17:11, 12. Far from being rejected as unchristian then, criticism based on Gods word should be carefully considered, for it can bring real benefits.

Yet, notice how they view criticism of THEIR beliefs and changes of beliefs. With no discussion of the merits of any reason for people disagreeing or leaving they are told to HATE anyone who leaves the fold or any clergy whom they consider to be "The Man of Lawlessness." Anything opponents say is "propaganda" and not to be considered.
    w92 7/15
    19 The obligation to hate lawlessness also applies to all activity by apostates. Our attitude toward apostates should be that of David, who declared: "Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, and do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? With a complete hatred I do hate them. They have become to me real enemies." (Psalm 139:21, 22) Modern-day apostates have made common cause with "the man of lawlessness," the clergy of Christendom. (2 Thessalonians 2:3) As loyal Witnesses of Jehovah, we therefore have absolutely nothing in common with them. Being imperfect, our hearts could easily have a tendency toward being critical of our brothers. As individuals, those of "the faithful and discreet slave" are imperfect humans. (Matthew 24:45-47) But this class is faithful and discreet. Apostates capitalize on errors or seeming mistakes made by brothers who take the lead. Our safety lies in avoiding apostate propaganda as though it were poison, which in fact it is.—Romans 16:17, 18.

7. In conclusion I would have to say the Jehovah's Witnesses elevate themselves, twist scripture, deny the mediatorship of Christ, limit the New Covenant, change doctrines frequently, encourage others to be critical of the church they attend while denying anyone the right to be critical of the Jehovah's Witness organization. They are even taught to shun their own mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters and treat them as dead, not for a sin but for being critical of "The Organization." In fact they are urged to "Hate" them. They have substituted a man made "Society" for true Christianity. By denying christians the right to partake of the Lord's Evening Meal, the Memorial as they call it, they deny them Christ. In short, from the return of an invisible Christ in 1914 to the denial of Christ as mediator for all men, they preach a DIFFERENT GOSPEL than was preached by Paul and and I think the following scripture applies to them:

Galatians chapt. 1:7 But it is not another; only there are certain ones who are causing YOU trouble and wanting to pervert the good news about the Christ. 8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Here's one more from ((( garybuss )))

H20 Posted by Gretchen [gretchen18] on December 07, 1999 at

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=19140&site=3

I believe that JW's are wonderful, loving people as long as they are not questioned, provoked, or debated with when it comes to faith. Sometimes when that door opens, they become nasty, spiteful, hateful or lying, refusing to listen to others ideas and disfellowshipping those who don't fit in the cookie cutter, because they can't defend their positions adequately enough and because the Society writes off and encourages such deceit by calling it "theocratic warfare".

• terafera
    terafera

Hi Grunt,
    Very interesting.. thanks for posting it. Its a good source of info that I can save and bring some points up to my jw family.

Thanks!

• terafera
    terafera

dung, that paragraph is so true...so true.

• jerome
    jerome

dungbeetle

That was the best description of Jehovahs Witnesses i have ever heard.

That is a definate keeper.

The Bible is a two edged sword wield it for evil and there may be hell to pay.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Thanks for the quote dungbeetle, and I agree. I guess most groups are easy to get along with as long as you totally agree with them. Fortunately, most will still speak to you even if you dare to disagree, and most will still love dear old Mom and Dad. I think one of the things that bothers me most about Witnesses is their arrogance which coupled with their scriptural ignorance is almost unbearable. They will disown their parents or children over questioning the 7,000 year creative day when they admit they don't understand it, and then ignore one of the ten commandments which they do understand (Honor your Mother and Father) by shunning them. Amazing what a cult can do to normal people. I do think you have to be a pretty selfish person at heart to sell your siblings or parents, even for eternity or should that be especially for eternity?

Tera - You have made by day by suggesting you might be able to use it. Thanks.

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Grunt and Dungbeetle,

Excellent points.

Free

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Interesting concept you guys brought out...

If I am willing to sell out my family and my friends for eternal life, I really don't deserve eternal life then do I?

Hmmmmmm

• lastcall
    lastcall

Thanks grunt. J. W.'s: the epitome of a cult. I do have to say though, number 3, as stated by th wt., is a valid point. The rest are garbage.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Thanks lastcall.....hmmm....how do you decide who is "entitled" to the truth? When you know that someone is only telling you the truth when they think you deserve it then it is hard to believe them about anything. I do my best to tell the truth to everyone. I don't do it for them, I do it for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit