The only thing in this world we have complete unquestionable control over is our own mind, and our own thoughts, and how we choose to frame (or think about) things.

by RunAsFastAsYouCan 22 Replies latest jw friends

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

The only thing in this world we have complete unquestionable control over is our own mind, and our own thoughts, and how we choose to frame (or think about) things.

And when you throw away all of the layers of constructs

about how we think:

Religious mores,

Agendas,

Politics,

Dogmas,

Greed,

Self flagellation,

Social mores,

Cultural mores,

Speech,

Language,

Ambient abuse,

Behavioral chains of nonsense,

Yada yada yada,

When we begin to throw away all of those layers,

that frame our thinking,

how we actually think about stuff,

and how we came to think about stuff,

we can’t even say we control our body functions,

we can control how we think about body functions,

but we can’t control the body functions themselves, (women's hormones case and point)

to a point.

But how we think about those basic things forms the basis of 'who we are' and what we choose to do with ourselves.

If you get down to the core and live in the moment,

nothing else begins to matter,

I can’t control other people and what they say.

I can’t control other people and what they think and what they choose to hear.

I can’t control anything really.

Other than my own thoughts and how I choose to frame them.

It’s pretty simple.

When you begin to look at things through that lens.

I can’t control anything completely and unquestionably.

I can control my mind and how I choose to think about things. That’s it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm going to drive you over the edge. Do you really have control over your own thoughts, really?

http://www.happinesshypothesis.com/happiness-hypothesis-ch1.pdf

I would also argue that we do have influence over others and our environment. It takes finesse, strategy, and an understanding of how people behave. I've spent a career convincing people to do hard stuff they'd rather ignore. On the other hand, if people don't go my way, I brush it off. I can only influence so far. Looking at it this way can be quite peaceful. Doing my best is good enough.

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Most people do not have their own thoughts, most thoughts are manipulated/controlled/heavily influenced/etc.

For example on things you like or wear, most people wear what is modern or accepted, they wear what is on tv and what everbody else wears so they fit in.

When you buy things, tv ads, etc, can be very manipulative to create a desire or make you think you need it when you don't.

Sales in general, if you learn about sales techniques, etc, it's similar to the WT methods but you can manipulate and influence decisions.

People want to fit in, so they select a 'type' of person and you end up with usually 10 to 20 stereotypes and thousands/millions of clones of them.

Then the news media tell you how to think. When people were voting for President, they all didn't like either of those 2, but wanted to pick the lesser of the two evils and not 'waste' their vote. Is that because out of the entire country of 300 million and all those who were applying or would want to be President, that the best choice were 2 that nobody wanted or is everybody manipulated by the tv and news that everybody is going to vote for them, they are going to be the choice, so people end up doing it.

In so many words, most of the people in this world are sheeple.

• jeff spreng
    jeff spreng

Having completely independent thought is often unacceptable. We don't live in our own bubble. Just being rejected can change the way one thinks and can cause one to rethink what one was perfectly comfortable thinking before the dis. Personally I have a hard time keeping to my own thoughts , I guess that is why we reach out to others. We try to validate our thinking by bouncing it off of others.

• jeff spreng
    jeff spreng

I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard. I just want someone that I can talk to.

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

Nah. Strip all that away. 20 years ago i was a 3 time (nasty) cancer survivor. I had a choice to think about i was going to live, or i was going to die. From then on i pretty much framed my life that way. I got 2 beautiful kids to show for it. Reframe it and throw all that nonsense out. JMO.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a thought, jeff spreng. The part of our mind that processes images goes with majority opinion. "It's a bird...it's a plane...no, it's Superman!". Deciding if it is a bird, a plane, or superhero is a majority decision of our neurons.

I suspect as our brain works on the micro level, we work on the macro level, trusting majority decisions most of the time. We elect leaders that way.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I'm reading an interesting but fun book atm called 'A mind of it's own', written by a psychologist called Cordelia Fine. She gives a lot of examples of experiments done that show our mind is not really being controlled by us, it really does have 'a mind of it's own'. It's really quite scary! And quite amusing when you find yourself doing the very same things you tell yourself you'll never do again having just read about it!

• millie210
    millie210

Ah...like the Billy Joel quote jeff spreng!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit