Are the elders legally separate from the WTS?

by Simon 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

If you look at the Privacy policy at http://www.watchtower.org/

Jehovah's Witnesses and Watchtower are committed to protecting your privacy. We use the information you submit to process your request. Please read on for more details about our privacy policy.

What information do we collect? How do we use it?
    When you request a visit, we need to know your name and street address. This allows us to process and fulfill your request.

How does Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania (Watchtower) protect information?
    When you submit information, we offer the use of a secure server. The secure server software (SSL) encrypts all information you input before it is sent to us. Furthermore, all of the data supplied is protected against unauthorized access.

Will Watchtower disclose the information it collects to outside parties?
    Watchtower does not give, sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others outside of Watchtower.

Your Consent
    By using this site's form to request more information, you consent to the use of this information by us. If ever it proves necessary to change our privacy policy, we will post those changes on this page so that you are always aware of what information we collect and how we use it.

Now, if you fill in the form then you will get a visit from the local congregation - I know, I tried it and the elders came round because it had been sent to them (smucks thought I was really interested!!)

Either they are sharing it with 3rd parties OR the elders are legally representatives of the WTS and so the liability / asset link is there when they mess up.

What do you think? Too simple?

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Simon,

thanks for sharing this "piece".

I don't know if it will help, but now - in the USA

and Europe, at least the WTBS deals though the new

legal entity: " The Jehovah's Witnesses Congregation".

So, legally "they" are not involved...(?). Rememeber

that most of the brothers and sisters don't know about

this - legal - move.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

P.S. Many thanks for your excellent work...really
    a wonderful tool to inform ...thousands and
    thousands of visitors all other the world.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Simon, were the early Christians and Christ an entity/corporation?
    Ships have names and as such are entities. You as a passenger on a boat had NO rights. Any mutiny meant being thrown overgoard without a trial. Corportaions are entities. An entity is not a free person. When we attach ourselves to an entity, are we not giving our freedoms away?

The inserted baptism question about recognizing the org. committs us to an enitity (slave) rather than Christ who freed us from slavery, entities. How does one reconcile such a contradictory arrangement?

Additional thoughts would be helpful on this subject.

Guest 77

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Guest77,

thanks for the "sharp" observation.

Its'all "legalistic verbage ", just in case things

might go wrong...the WTBS can protect themselves against

legal provedures...at least they hope.

Surely one day this will end.

All the best, greetings J.C.MacHislopp

• Englishman
    Englishman

Simon,

Just digressing slightly, but aren't your local elders chasing you for running this site?

Don't tell me that they haven't rumbled you yet!

Englishman.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

BicMac, thanks. I'm of the scriptural suggestion that forums of this nature follow the words of Paul, ".....fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." 1 Cor. 1:10 Not perfectly, however, it will have to do for now.

Glad to know you.

Guest 77

• Simon
    Simon

Announcing that I'd DA'd myself (when I hadn't) was all they could manage in the end. I think most elders have no teeth and, at the end of the day, if you are not doing anything wrong then they have no basis for doing anything.

It is they who cannot answer to me rather than the other way round and they know that I know that they don't have answers.

Maybe I will prod them with a stick or something in a few weeks to give them something to think about - a nice legal letter delivered in the middle of a meeting would do nicely I think

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Elders appointments are approved by the WTBTS. Elders attend training meetings sponsored by the WTBTS. Elders have a special book to use that is written and printed by the WTBTS. The actions of the elders are governed by the WTBTS.

It would be almost impossible for the WTBTS to uphold a claim that the body of elders is a seperate and distinct entity. Their only possible proof of separateness is their claim that the elders were chosen by "Holy Spirit".

It's kind of hard to sue "Holy Spirit".

• anewperson
    anewperson

Courts make a determination based on answers to questions such as:

Are leaders of the WTS and or their appointed represents in the organization of the same name or organization under control in turn of the WTS leaders:

1) able to discipline the elders?

2) able to set policies for the elders?

3) in control in whole or part of the facilities and supplies used by the elders?

Obviously they are in control of the elders though exercising it via the front corporation the so-called Christian Congregation of JWs. Their seeking to use it as a legal subterfuge to hide and protect their assets is transparent to the judiciary, and their assessed responsibilities therefore shall be all the heavier in instances of impending litigation.

• RR
    RR

The legal corporation for Jehovah's WItnesses is NOT The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. It is now "Christian Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses" with its headquarters in Patterson, NY. I have official letterhead letter. So when you write the Society for anything JW related, you will most likely get a letter from the "CCoJW."

I don't think it makes the Society liable. Consider the Bible Students and their activities. There is no central headquarters, because each and every congregation is autonomous, separate. However, should the Dawn Bible Students Asociation receive a request for literature or contact, the DAWN will contact a local Bible Student congregation in the area and let them know of the interest shown and they will follow up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit