of me, he didn't mean once every year? I say that because, according
    to Acts 2:42 and 20:7 says they not only celebrated the Memorial, but
    they did it on a weekly basis. For the people who respond, I'm going
    to give you a topic which you can give your opinions on. Should only
    certain people be allowed to partake of the "emblems"? I guess I'll
    hear from you soon.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

As some of you may know, Daveyjones is my stepson, the one thinking of converting to Catholicism.

Davey,

Yes indeed the most ancient custom of the Christian Church was to have an agape meal at least weekly if not more often. ALL Christians partook, not just some fictitious "annointed few".

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Yes indeed the most ancient custom of the Christian Church was to have an agape meal at least weekly if not more often.

Actually, Yeru (and peace to you!), the early congregations partook... daily. Check the history books. The practice was abandoned after the start of the institutionalized 'church'...

Again, peace to you... and you, too, DJ!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

uh..Aguest...could you point me in some direction regarding how ofter they had 'that' meal...I would love dearly to add to my teensy weeney knowlege base on this.

Dungbeetle, of the "I slpet through a lot of these talks and am now busted' klass.

(((((Shelby )))))

UADNA-US (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-United States)

• simwitness
    simwitness

"keep doing this in rememberance of me..." I never took it to mean the simple wine/bread thing... I always thougt it applied to all things.

Gathering, conversing, eating, etc...

"All things to the glory of God."

The Church/Religions of the world however would have us believe it to be a ceremony of sorts, and perhaps that has it's place as well. But that also be what "empowers" them over the people, by making it a "holy event" that you can only do at "specified times" in "specified places", you take the true meaning of it away from the individuals.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest SimWit... peace to you... and please know that when my brothers and I 'gather' (you know, get together just to BE together), we DO share a [regular] meal, as well as the bread and wine... AND we wash one another's feet. Literally.

Hey, 'Dung-Girl! Peace to you, my dear sister!

Hmmm... let's see... wait! I know! Why not start with a WTBTS
    'reference source' itself - McClintock & Strong's Bible Cyclopedia? Amazes me, and a friend who owns a set, the 'stuff' in there that the WTBTS completely disregards, yet they're always citing "McClintock & Strong's". You could also read the writings of Josephus and Jerome, but they might be a bit more difficult to, ummm... 'navigate'. Maybe not.

May I tell you a 'truth', though, dear 'Dung? My friend found this information AFTER I had shared that my Lord had told me such. My Lord 'said' to me... no, actually he ASKED me... "how often did your forefathers, Israel, eat the manna in the wilderness, while they walked back 'home' to the promised land?" When I answered him with 'daily', he then asked me, "And are YOU not now 'in the wilderness', on YOUR journey home, to the 'land' promised to YOU? What then will sustain YOU as you 'walk'?" The answer was obvious, of course.

So... I 'heard', and I 'obeyed', because I now better understand the SPIRITUAL connotation of "give us our bread... FOR THE DAY." And I shared this with those of my brothers who had 'ears to hear'. On occasion, though, they need to see something written 'on stone tablets', or 'on paper with delible ink'. Soon, however, the day will come when such things will be 'written'... on their hearts... as it has been on mine. All they need do is ask... and listen. For the holy spirit, the spirit of my Lord, which is the spirit of TRUTH (John 14:6), WILL teach them... and me... ALL things.

The GREATEST of love and peace to you, girl!

YOUR servant, sister and fellow slave of Christ,

SJ

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi DaveyJones, well I only know that in the Bibles Jesus tells his followers to "keep doing this in remembrance of me." He did not put "keep doing this" in a time frame. The once a year thing is just a watchtower pecularity, so if you did it every day or every week, or even every hour, (which would be silly, I know!) you would still be heeding Jesus' words. Also, there is absolutely no scripture that says that we have to partake of the emblems in the Kingdom Hall. Anywhere would be fine.

An aside, is your name after one of the Monkeys or the pirate?

• Bang
    Bang

When did we see you in need Lord?
    What you did for the least of these - it was me.

The poor and needy have been blessed, broken and handed out for the sake of everyone - but I don't know if the 'annointed' ever stayed for that meal, ever.

Shit I can't help but bag those people.
    Bang

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Should the Memorial be celebrated once a year, or should it be celebrated weekly, even daily, like some other churches? I think when Jesus said keep doing this in memory of me, he didn't mean once every year? I say that because, according to Acts 2:42 and 20:7 says they not only celebrated the Memorial, but they did it on a weekly basis. For the people who respond, I'm going to give you a topic which you can give your opinions on. Should only certain people be allowed to partake of the "emblems"? I guess I'll hear from you soon.

DaveyJones,

Consider the evidence first:

2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

And

20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

This has nothing to do with the memorial. It is simply a common practice at the time. The disciples even preached in synagogues and most kept the Law of Moses as well. It would be years before such practices were finally purged from the faith.

But maybe this verse allows for frequent use?

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord‘s death till he come.

Well the word “often” must be understood in context with what is being discussed. And that something is the “cup of blessing” discussed earlier by Paul which is the third cup of wine consumed at Passover. This is a specific reference to Passover not some weekly or random observance. Notice:

10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

So you may get different answers on this but it always was an anniversary or yearly observance and should remain as such.

Every dedicated disciple should partake and did partake. Some of these Paul was criticizing because of their abuse of this observance and not because they were not qualified or authorized to partake. Some Christian Jews were still keeping the Law and expanded this observance to much more than what was intended during such an observance. Others were doing something else and arriving drunk. They should have had their meal at home before such a memorial Paul said and they should not attend in a drunken state. There were problems with this observance then with such differing views just as there are different problems now. Bottom line is observing this Lord’s evening meal correctly and at the right times is your responsibility and something you will have to resolve for yourself. Perhaps this will help in that regard.
    Joseph

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting thoughts, and although I am happy to criticize the Borg, I believe there is merit in their argument on this point.

Acts 2.42 and 20.7 , are clearly talking of normal meals for which the early Christians got together frequently.

1 Cor.11, from vs 20 on is counselling the cong in respect of their attitude towards the Lords Evening Meal . Paul quotes Jesus as having said "As often as you eat THIS LOAF " vs 26 , which loaf?
    The special unleavened Passover Bread which they ate at passover only .
    This occurred annually on Nisan 14.

As to partaking, Jesus instituted a covenant arrangement with his disciples present at that time. If one sincerely believes that they have have been brought personally into that covenant then it is not only their right but a duty to partake of the emblems of that meal. However consider carefully the warning given in 1 Cor. 11 vs 27

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit