They have slipped it in ........

by Slidin Fast 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

As we know, we can search the bible from cover to cover and we don’t find any reference to the “governing body”. Not now, it has been slipped in for the Outine of Contents for Acts 15. Here we are looking at history through a modern, distorting lens.

OUTLINE OF CONTENTS

• Dispute in Antioch regarding circumcision (1, 2)
    • Question brought to Jerusalem (3-5)
    • Elders and apostles meet together (6-21)
    • Letter from the governing body (22-29)

◦ Abstain from blood (28, 29)

• Congregations encouraged by letter (30-35)

Paul and Barnabas go separate ways (36-41)

• sir82
    sir82

Notice the small "g" and "b".

The modern-days guys have given themselves a promotion to Governing Body. They get capitalized just like "Lord" and "God".

• minimus
    minimus

good catch, sir!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well spotted, indeed !

I have noted that when possible, bits of "theocrat-ese" are included in the text. Eg, "Older Men" are now often called elders. That may not be wrong in itself, but given the modern use of the term in the cong. it is a loaded expression to elevate the cong elders

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The use of lower case for the words is deliberate, they have slipped this in to go in to the subconscious of JW's, and yet they can defend it to outsiders.

Had they used capitals it would have been too blatant.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

How did "apostles and the elders, together with the whole congregation, decided to send chosen men from among them to Antioch" become a governing body?

Verses 22, 23 sound more like an apology from Jerusalem rather than a decision. The only "decision" made was to send men in person. I say that they were making sure that their apology came across as sincere, since they send along respected men to say in person what was written on the short note. And it was a note, not a letter.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Ooh sneaky beggars !

• Perry
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

For the outline of contents for 1 Cor. 10, does it happen to mention for vs. 25-30 "Letter from governing body gets trashed"?

• AnthonyMorrisXIII
    AnthonyMorrisXIII

Shortly before I was 'awakened' I was witnessing to a Greek guy, who insisted the Bible said this and the Bible said that, turned out he was quoting from the extensive commentary in a translation by one P. Trembelas. So I feel all commentaries should be kept well away from the text body of the Bible.
    As has been said, sneaky!.

AM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit