Religion is a insurance for death.

by jam 15 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

I heard this last night. Profound.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Read the small print carefully would be my advice.

• steve2
    steve2

Terms and conditions differ from one insurer to another and, to make comparisons tricky, often there are contradictory interpretations of the exact same terms and conditions. Similarly, people may have paid premiums for decades and be declined pay out when the time arrives. Yes sir, insurance policies are spookily similar to religious affiliations!

• adamah
    adamah

It's not profound, and it's not novel (it's a concept over 400 years old), but simply a modern rephrasing of Pascal's wager, which has been soundly denounced and refuted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

Adam

• Laika
    Laika

There's more to it than that, I.e. community and tribal identity.

• jam
    jam

Thanks Adamah: Good read, Pascal.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Difference is, real insurances have been seen to pay out AT LEAST once....

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

The way I see it, religion is a primite way of coping with reality. So, when someone dies, they went to heaven or will be resurected in the new world or some crap like that. Similarly, when disasters happen it was God's will, Satan's fault, signs of the coming Armaghedon, etc. And so and forth, just imaginary stuff that can help weak minds cope with the harsh realities.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The terms are ambiguous and the pay off is out of this world.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Life is actually an insurance for death. Religion is just the plastic roses decorating the path along the way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit