Anyone else have essential tremors?

by Found Sheep 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I've had them off and on since I was 8. I didn't put a label on them till last month.

• marmot
    marmot

I don't know if they're essential tremors but I shake all the time ever since I started taking medication for bipolar disorder. Pisses me off because I used to love target shooting and making model airplanes and now even eating a bowl of soup is impossible.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

When I was growing up, tremors would be evident in my hands. I seemed to grow out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it reappears later.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am working hard at getting Delerium Tremens, I have had several strong Ales, and am now on the Carribean Rum.

• blondie
    blondie

marmot, you can adjust the tremors by lowering the amount of med you take. have you tried that

• marmot
    marmot

I'm already on the lowest therapeutic dose and they don't want to play around with a new medication because this one seems to be working well aside from the tremors. It sucks but it's better than the emotional rollercoaster I used to be on.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I just found out in reading a lot about neuropsychology, that those tremors CAN be stress related. When reading up on the MMP2 test it mentioned these tremors as a symptom of a psycological disorder!

I think this is the correct link.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/minnesota-multiphasic-personality-inventory-mmpi/0005959

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It's often genetic, essential tremor indicates no other cause or contributing factor, other than you just have it. Anxiety, stress, medications cause tremors, but essential tremors are not related, they have no other signs or pathology than the tremor.

treatment includes...

Conservative... Do nothing if not affecting quality of life much.

Pharmacological.. Propanolol or primidone (affect the nuerology) or botox injections, altering the muscle reactions

Surgery... various options available, allwith risks and side effects.

Thalamotomy - in this procedure, the thalamus on one side of the brain is destroyed. It has been shown to be very effective. It stops or greatly reduces the tremor in up to 9 out of 10 people with essential tremor.

Thalamic deep brain stimulation - this procedure involves placing an electrode (fine wire) into the thalamus on one or both sides of the brain.It may produce a good response in up to 9 out of 10 affected people.

Essential tremors tend to get worse, but it is not a precursor for neurological disease or anything nasty. Its only major issue is that it can get worse and affect quality of life, thats when the above options are worth considering.

snare x

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Snare,

Thanks you are the first to understand. I have them bad enough that it almost made me house bound. It is not a mental disorder!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Marmot, bipolar meds do cause tremors. interestingly, parkinsons disease is caused by reduced dopamine production via the substantia nigra In the brain. Bipolar meds likewise reduce dopamine levels to stabilise mood, therefor you get these 'parkinsonian' signs.

Reducing your meds is not wise without medical assistance. These side effects are called 'extra pyrimidial' side effects and some bipolar drugs can bypass this by reducing seretonin levels more so than dopamine. It is worth talking to your doctor about. But please bear in mind I am just a trainee doctor.

The older psych meds called 'typicals' are known for these side effects, the newer 'atypicals' have more of a metabolic side effect, weight gain etc.

The choice depends on your medical history , your diagnosis etc. But talk to your doctor about it If you are being affected by the tremors.

snare x

p.s. Again, I am just a trainee, so seek your doctors advice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit