The new light changes from the draw close to Jehovah printed form vs online form.

by EndofMysteries 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

the changes are in paragraph 7 and 8 in the first chapter of Draw Close to Jehovah book, and I fail to see any doctrine change, only the GB trying to cover up possible mistakes they've made and potential embarrassment of worldly sources knowing what Jehovah's name means while they were wrong. Let's examine this NEW LIGHT they quote with this letter. Let's see a word for word comparison on what many will be talking about in meetings about the wonderful new light and evidence that they are the faithful slave.....

Book version quote - "Jehovah" literally means "He Causes to Become". NEW VERSION - "Jehovah" is understood to mean "He Causes to Become".

WOW!!! So Jehovah doesn't literally mean, it's just understood to mean. Thank you new light!!!!!

Some more.....

Book version quote - "True, he brought all things into existence. That in itself is an awe-inspiring thought." NEW VERSION "He is unique in all the universe, for he brought all things into existence, and he causes all his purposes to be fulfilled."

Book version quote - "But is that the point of God's name?" NEW VERSION - "But is there another facet to the meaning of God’s name?"

Book version quote - "You see, the divine name was not new. People had been using it for centuries." NEW VERSION: You see, he knew that Jehovah is the Creator, and he knew God’s name. The divine name was not new. People had been using it for centuries."

Book version quote -"What does God's personal name literally mean?" NEW VERSION "What is God's personal name understood to mean?"

Book version quote - "In response Jehovah explained the meaning of his name" NEW VERSION " In response Jehovah revealed a thrilling aspect of his personality, something that is related to the meaning of his name."

Book version quote - "But the careful rendering in the New World Translation shows that God was not merely affirming his own existence. NEW VERSION "But careful renderings show that God was not merely affirming his own existence. "

That's it!!

I think they changed many words around to perhaps cover up something. The biggest changes I see is that Jehovah no longer LITERALLY MEANS, but now they put "is understood to mean". They also took out the new world translation as a careful rendering and just say careful rendering.

Could it be they learned that YHWH "literally" means something else and they are trying to cover up that after 100 years of supposedly being the truth and preachers of truth, that those they call false religion understood what Jehovah's name meant and that the so called faithful slave got it wrong al along?

If you look up what YHWH or Jehovah means, you'll see something like this....

Scholars widely propose that the name YHWH is a verb form derived from the Biblical Hebrew triconsonantal root היה (h-y-h) "to be", which has הוה (h-w-h) as a variant form, with a third person masculine y- prefix. [6] It is connected to the passage in Exodus 3:14 in which God gives his name as אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה (Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh), where the verb, translated most basically as "I am that I am" or "I shall be what I shall be", "I shall be what I am". [7] יהוה with the vocalization "Yahweh" could theoretically be a hif'il (causative) verb inflection of root HWH, with a meaning something like "he who causes to exist" or "who gives life" (the root idea of the word being "to breathe", and hence, "to live"). [8] As a qal (basic stem) verb inflection, it could mean "he who is, who exists". [6]

So the only new light I see is that the GB may be trying to cover up their mistakes.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

One major mistake I noticed which has nothing to do with the changes and is in both versions is this statement....... Book version quote - "You see, the divine name was not new. People had been using it for centuries." NEW VERSION: You see, he knew that Jehovah is the Creator, and he knew God’s name. The divine name was not new. People had been using it for centuries."

Did the GB never read Ex 6:3, in their own bible it says this,,,"And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but as respects my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them."

Jehovah says himself he never revealed that name, yet they are saying everybody knew that name and it was being used for centuries. Are they that stupid or am I missing something?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, was wondering that myself, EOM. . . .

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

blah blah blah blah blah

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

EoM,

It is my opinion that it is the first step in the evolution of a religious organization the insertion of the term "understood" and "understand." These terms allow change and morphing. We believe denotes a basis for that belief, "faith is the assured..." but, to "understand" is quickly and painlessly altered.

SOP

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hmmmm, yeah I wonder the same thing. I always thought he "revealed" his name to them and up until then they did not know it.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Another change I just found, par 12,

book version "So God has made his personal name known, has explained its meaning, and has even demonstrated that the meaning is true." NEW VERSION : " So God has made his personal name known, he has revealed thrilling things about the person represented by that name, and he has even demonstrated that what he says about himself is true. "

• Poztate
    Poztate

The online library for the Draw Close to Jehovah book says that this is a December 2013 REPRINTING of the book.

No were does it say it is in fact a REVISION reprinting at least that I could find

This might just be the opening step to quietly change ANY other publications from the online library to keep up with current "new light"

JW's as we know are being encouraged to use the online library as their primary study resource.

• 88JM
    88JM

At the meeting here last night, this all went a bit balls-up. The elders here are all a bit slow, and they must have only seen the letter online sometime earlier this week. I think they maybe phoned up one or two, but certainly not everyone.

So when it came to the meeting last night, most people were sat there with the old book and nothing else. The conductor had printed out paragaphs 7 and 8 for the reader, and mentioned there were some "updates online" at the start of the study. When it came to those paragraphs, there were some very confused looks, as people sat there with the old version were having trouble following along and it made the differences really apparent. Even funnier, when it came to the question about God's name, the conductor still asked question from the old version: "What does God's name literally mean?"

I guess it wasn't all that grievous as the changes were pretty minor, but it was an interesting view into the future perhaps, where those who haven't got their latest "online new-light update" are left behind in the dust with "old light". There are quite a few in the congregation here who don't have internet access at all. And if an entire congregation misses out, there can effectively be congregations going apostate without even realising it!

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Did the GB never read Ex 6:3, in their own bible it says this,,,"And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but as respects my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them."

The theory is that he informed Adam and Eve of his name and they knew it from on down to Jacob, but he did not make the meaning and power known.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit