They are Definitely Attacking "Higher Education"

by XBEHERE 129 Replies latest jw friends

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I understand where you're coming from, but the organization for a century has been telling people there is no need for to take such precautions, and even, at times, underhandedly suggested that doing so shows a lack of faith. My family has been in "the spoof" on both sides, since the early 1900's. I have heard they have begun to change their stance on this issue these days, but it's kind of late for those who are already there. Sure, it's always a personal decision to decide whether or not to follow the advice of the organization. however this is the organization you choose to be a leader within. You lead others to believe that they are God's sole channel of communication on earth. Therfore, you can call it a lack of personal reponsibility all you want, but it seems to me a lack of personal responsibility on your own part to not step up and take care of those whom your organization misled.

• thedog1
    thedog1

Well, this, amongst other things, over the last few years, are things I have been wrestling with in my own conscience. For quite some time, I have questioned whether I should be in the position of advising others to follow the guidelines and directions of the org. Not very comfortable with this 'position' so who knows what way I will take this in the future.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Good luck with that. I'm sure it's tough to be in a position where you feel like you should be helping people, but half the time the approved methods and teachings of what is helpful is actually quite the opposite.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

For me the bottom line is that the WT is not a religion in any sense of the word as larger denominations are.

Catholic, Jewish and Lutheran organizations exist to actually HELP elderly; they have housing programs, charity programs, food programs, outreach programs.

What does the WT have?

Nothing; we are left to argue over whether the local congregation should help elderly ones.

Yes, they should; how much can they, though, when donations from the 2nd poorest Christian religion in the US won't even support local kingdom halls, and huge amounts of money go to build unnecessary new enclaves in upstate NY? (Oh, and why are they so low on the income scale again? Is it because of this?)

Why should they, when they themselves have bad mouthed all charitable efforts, instead blathering on about how the best help is spiritual?

Early christian groups collected money for the elderly, they distributed food to the needy in their midst.

The WT has always said they model themselves after the early Christians, yet they do NOTHING for the poor in their midst.

They encourage the brothers to seek any help from the state, or other charities, that they can get, and beg off, saying that all funds go to preaching.

While doing clean up work in East Grand Forks after the floods, no food, nothing, was provided for lunches when we were working; the brothers in charge told us we could get sandwiches from the Red Cross that was coming around. Or was it Salvation Army?

In my previous hall, a couple studied the 'truth' in the Czech Republic, and wanted to come to the US. The brothers helped them to get here, with money from......Catholic Charities.

It isn't just that the WT doesn't have a good program for the poor and elderly, or that they have none; it is that they cynically encourage the rank and file to use worldly and even other 'gray' charities (borderline religious).

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Totally agreed Pistoff. The responsibility ultimately lies with the FDS. These SOB's need to step up and take some responsibility for the lives they have led to desperation. They just made hundreds of millions for the org off investments originally provided by contributions on these people's backs. Time to give some back.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Higher education.....in fact, ANY education....is the most damaging thing to Jehovah's Witnesses.

Once the mind opens up.... it is flooded with common sense that is often difficult to dismiss.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

thedog1:

Thank you very much for admitting there are pioneers who think others in the congregation "owe them a living" because of the so-called sacrifices they made to pioneer. Well, they didn't make any sacrifices for me, they made it for the religion.

I am not active in the religion now, but, just for the record, I did not owe anybody there a damn thing because I work for a living.

The Jehovah's Witness religion is responsible for the predicament many people in the congregation find themselves in. However, I NEVER fell for the garbage about quitting my job. NO, I knew I had to take care of myself.

However, I was not invited often and was viewed by some as not upbuilding association and had to hear stupid remarks about "materialism". I accept that. What I DO not accept, however, is these same people thinking that NOW, because things are so bad, that people such as myself who worked should give them something. Not gonna happen. Now it's my turn to run from them. The Jehovah's Witness religion imagines that the congregation itself should function as a welfare (if you will) for those who are "needy" and they think that the dwindling number of responsible working people barely hanging onto their jobs are somehow going to do it.

Well, this is one of the reasons I got the hell out of there and I would never associate myself with any religion again. It is bad enough I had to deal with people who tried to target single women to do favors. It is adding insult to injury to imagine that I would be targeted left and right by people looking for money.

I can understand the attitude that wearewatchingyouman has. He feels that his grandmother, who labored as a free servant to the religion, should be owed something. I will not argue that point. However, she is owed something by the RELIGION and I wish her all the best. Let the religion liquidate some properties and give a little settlement to these people who slaved for them.

As I said in my previous post, I am glad to be rid of the JW religion. I really feel sorry for the few responsible working people left there. They must be hit up for money regularly like they were ATM machines!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

" Higher education.....in fact, ANY education....is the most damaging thing to Jehovah's Witnesses."

Only because leadership (lack of it) has not been able to figure out how to send it's young to get an education, and come back to the fold.

Every other group has figured out how to do this; why not the Witnesses?

Mormons may have solved the problem by having their own colleges, but again the WT is not interested; buildings and printing presses, yes; colleges to help our fellowship, NO.

So it is in the ridiculous position of discouraging the very thing that will help it's members to work less, and be more financially secure: higher education.

The problem is leadership; the men that run it get worse every year.

Every year the writing of the WT and 'books' gets more simple minded, closed minded and insipid.

Every time they talk about the evils of college the rank and file develops more cognitive dissonance; they all know that people don't go to college to become rich, or famous; that entering the world of work or just getting through high school exposes you to a 'worldly lifestyle' just as much as college.

They are damaging the fellowship more each time they trot out these inane diatribes against education.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

"Every year the writing of the WT and 'books' gets more simple minded, closed minded and insipid."

Everytime I pick up a Watchtower or an Awake these days I feel as if I'm reading something meant for a third grader. They are written in very much the same style as the "My Book of Bible Stories" of old.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Meanwhile in the normal world, older people worked hard, had EDUCATIONS, got good jobs and a pension...... They help their kids in tough times

Back in JW land, the old folk are waiting for a promise and now find themselves in the sh*t.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit