Something Screwy With WT's New Bible!

by JW GoneBad 14 Replies latest members politics

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

A comment in the NAC-Matthew commentary (Craig L. Blomberg, p.321) says:

• Some textual variants reverse the order of the two sons' actions (cf. NASB), and a few change the leaders' answer so that they praise the unfaithful son. But the manuscript evidence is too weak to support this variant (limited to D, old Italic and Syriac versions, and not even noted in the NIV), despite some valiant attempts to make sense of it as the original reading.

The Westcott & Hort Greek text has the order seen in the older NWT. As I've noticed before, the revised NWT appears to make use of the UBS Greek and favor the differences in that text. (See here and here for other examples.)

Take care

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thank you Bobcat: 'As I've noticed before, the revised NWT appears to make use of the UBS Greek and favor the differences in that text.'

Yes and I might add WT and their Bible Translation Committee as evidenced in the 'New' NWT seem to favoring more and more the renderings of Christendoms' Bible Translations!

I wonder how much criticism from the outside and who from made WT cave in.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Westcott & Hort is a bit long in the tooth (1881 I believe). So an update was needed. Of course, this leaves the KIT out in the cold as far as being the goto text. But if they don't mention it, who would ever find out? I doubt they will ever come out with a new interlinear.

Incidentally, the Word Study Greek English NT (Paul R. McReynolds, Tyndale Press) is a really good one that uses the UBS3 text, the NRSV in the column, and Strong's over the Greek, along with a Greek concordance in the back, coded to Strong's, BDAG (or it might be BAGD - yes, BAGD it is), Louw & Nida's Lexicon, Kittel's TDNT, and Brown's NIDNTT. (See here.) The only thing the KIT has on it is a more transportable size (and price too, when you could get it.)

Take Care

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

This link ties to the other thread of the same name.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Stories spoken by shepherds, eventually written by priests, copied by political movements, translated several times in several languages long lost......

Thousands of years have passed, beyond it being an interesting historical insight, its toilet paper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit