Do ~~they~~ do it for the money?

by LDH 10 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

What never ceases to amaze me is why people ask this question about the GB.

Why do they do it? They don't get paid. They're not getting rich!

Well folks, just look at their big sister organization, the Catholic Church, and you will know why.

It isn't about personal fortunes for the GB. No more than it is for the Bishops of the church.

It's all about

POWER

, folks, and the chance to control people's lives.

Although to the rest of the world, these boys, the GB, are relative NOTHINGS, to 6 million humans they represent God here on hearth. They are worshipped as God's mouthpiece. Think about it--6 billion humans on this earth and only 12 represent his true will.

How much more powerful can you get?

Lisa

• out4good3
    out4good3

It just boggles my mind how much devotion these people give without question to those 12 old men. Not just that, but also to DO's, CO,s and Elders too.

That must be some ego trip to be equal to GOD in the eyes of 6 million people.

What a joke.

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one
    What never ceases to amaze me is why people ask this question about the GB.
    Why do they do it? They don't get paid. They're not getting rich!

Lisa,

While the JWs make frequent claims that the GB doesn't get paid, the WTS does not disclose its financial details to the public. Therefore, don't be too sure that these folks aren't being compensated. I find it very hard to believe these guys aren't getting paid, and furthermore, I believe the compensation is probably substantial and unwarranted.

• Simon
    Simon

Not money?

What money worries do they have?

Do they even have jobs?

Do they worry about paying the mortgage like us 'mere mortals'?

Do they have any trouble jetting off to Hawaii or on foreign trips?

I think 'financial security' plays a part although I think you are right about the power - they are well and truly intoxicated by it as you can tell by how they wield it.

• metatron
    metatron

You just have to understand the male ego.

It is said that Napolean created the Legion of Honor - a
    ranking of medals awarded for bravery, etc.

A critic is reported to have said "Men will not die for
    such trinkets!"

Napolean supposedly replied that "men will, indeed, die for
    such trinkets!".

and history proved him right.

Actually, old JT said it best - they're like a bag lady
    pushing a shopping cart full of junk. It may not be much,
    but it's theirs and they'll fight to the death to keep it.

metatron

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I think we see a common denominator forming here.

LDH:

It's all about

POWER

, folks, and the chance to control people's lives.

Although to the rest of the world, these boys, the GB, are relative NOTHINGS, to 6 million humans they represent God here on hearth. They are worshipped as God's mouthpiece. Think about it--6 billion humans on this earth and only 12 represent his true will.

How much more powerful can you get?

out4good:
    That must be some ego trip to be equal to GOD in the eyes of 6 million people.
    Simon:
    I think you are right about the power - they are well and truly intoxicated by it as you can tell by how they wield it.
    metatron:
    You just have to understand the male ego.
    My addition:

When you are at the helm of a multimillion dollar publishing company which claims to speak for God, and you have convinced over 6 million people that you are indeed speaking for God and are to be recognized as His Prophet.. the power is unfathomable.

Millions hang on their every breath.

Millions conduct their entire lives based on whatever whim they choose.

Millions sacrifce their time and families to do as they are instructed by these men.

Power is an understatement.

It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.
    WT 11/15/1963 page 688 paragraph 3

• Teirce
    Teirce

"What never ceases to amaze me is why people ask this question about the GB."

I think the operative assumption when this question is asked is, "Do they do it for the money if they are also abiding by the same high moral standards that they espouse?"

Some people just have difficulty conceiving of a group who craves power for power's sake alone, and not for the carnal, basic, normal advantages it provides. That would be like having fabulous wealth and being shut inside a glass cage in a mall. Ie, if possessing this degree of power came at the cost of practicing what you preach to acquire it, then not *everyone* would jump at the chance. So, it's not *just* about the power.

Now obviously anyone can regale the 95 Theses on Brooklyn's door; I was just making a clarification on behalf of those who *have* wondered whether they do it for the money, since they don't appear to be enjoying the wealth that is associated with the decadent lifestyle of other religious leaders. If it was demonstrated that the GB got hookers, all would be well, and no one would ask yay or nay.

• Xander
    Xander

That would be like having fabulous wealth and being shut inside a glass cage in a mall.

That doesn't sound like a very male statement, so I'm going to assume you're not.

Power is power is power. Having control over peoples lives, having the ability to absolutely determine the course of peoples lives such that your future safety (and that of your family, if present) is the absolute paramount of what men are biologically and socially conditioned to do.

Human history is a testament to that - fame and fortune is only a means to an end - that end being having power.

Hitler was never wealthy, but do you think he didn't get off on conquering Europe? Alexander the Great? Stalin? Chairman Mao? Fidel Castro? Bin Laden?

None of these people led the opulant lifestyle of the rich and famous. They were driven by exactly one and ONLY one thing - power.

Don't underestimate it.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
    -- Lord Acton 1887

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace!

Actually, while power certainly is a great part of the intrigue, there is another matter, including one of the MAIN 'desires' of WT loyalists: "security". How so?

Let's say you were a young man who 'believed' in the propaganda of an organization to the extent that you dedicated your life to it. However, in the course of your life and dedication, you came to realize some 'things' were 'wrong'. Certainly, for a time, you would most probably try to 'wait of Jehovah'. But... years past by quickly, dear one, you know, until one day you find that you are old. And NOW... you know you are not what you have purported to be, and those who influenced you are not what THEY purported to be. But...what do you DO? And... where do you GO?

You have been cared for in the cradle of comfort for most of your life, never wanting for ANYTHING, have travelled the world several times over, and people virtually LAUD you when you are in their presence in almost every land you enter. You have never held a 'real' job (you know, with timeclock, paycheck, threat of termination). You need not worry about medical care or retirement. And the trades you knew as a young man have been replaced... by machines... and younger men. What do you DO? Where do you GO?

Since you yourself are quite old, most of your family has passed on. And you either have no children (for you did not marry) or if you do perhaps they are 'worldly'. OR perhaps they have lived as you have... by means of 'widow's houses'. So who will take care of you? And who can do it at the level you are accustomed to? What do you DO? Where do you GO?

Yes, there would be some SERIOUS decisions to make: do you stand up for truth and righteousness, denounce the lies and deceit and risk being 'expelled'... and therefore 'cast out'... into the street (perhaps literally)? Or... do you 'get in, sit down, shut up... and hold on'... for LIFE? Do you acknowledge that YOU were in error, that YOU took part in misleading others, and that YOU may yet still have to answer for that, to man AND God? Or do you convince yourself that you did no wrong and have no culpability because pride... and cowardice... will not let you think otherwise?

Neither faith... NOR courage... is the possession of all men, dear ones. Indeed, it is not the possession of MOST men.

Power? Most likely. Pride? Quite certainly.

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• TR
    TR

Actually, these suns 'o bitchs(GB) can travel where they want and when they want. They probably each have a company credit card, and can dine, lodge and vacation wherever they like. They have it made!

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit