TOLERANCE

by Frenchy 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

TOLERANCE

I think the appearance of the now infamous Danielle gives us reason for pause. I admit that at first I took her at face value which is what we are all supposed to do. However I soon realized that she was playing. I don't know the character behind the personna but I don't think this person was trying to make fun OF us as much as he/she was trying to have fun WITH us. As it turned out we didn't want to play.
    I don't agree with the barrage of posts that flooded this board thus making even more work for poor Simon to keep her/him from sinking the boat. That was not right. But aside from this I think that Danielle taught us an important lesson...perhaps some of us are as guilty of intolerance as the very entity that is responsible for our presence here. I know that I found myself wanting to jump in and refute her arguments although I was standing in a long line to do so. It's so very easy to unintentionally make an unwise remark but it's not right to deliberately make caustic and bitter remarks even if we are bitter inside.
    Personally I would like to see some of the lurkers step into the light and challenge us. I would like to think that some of us would welcome this opportunity and answer such with tact and honesty. I keep my e-mail open to anyone who wants to drop me a note but I know that many are afraid of discovery and so I understand their reluctance to do so. Perhaps if our conduct on this board would show a little more tolerance these might be encouraged to speak out.
    Once upon a long time ago I took on the role of the devil's advocate, so to speak, and it wasn't long before a few posters were showing some animosity although they knew me and my stand. I had to stop and remind everyone of how I stood on those things. The things I had brought up were issues that I had wrestled with for a long time and I was interested to see how others had resolved those things. You never really know what you think you know until you have to defend it... Frenchy's book of living, page two.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• mommy
    mommy
    You never really know what you think you know until you have to defend it...

Vey interesting post Frenchy! Thanx
    I always loved debating in school. I was great at jumping on both sides and making them both sound good. Funny thing is I really could see the point of both side of the debate. My teacher told me I would make a good conversationalist. I think it just makes me more understanding.
    I too have kept my email open. I have met several very interesting people. I have also been preached to too:) That is what makes this world go around, I think. If we all felt the same way this world would be like a district assembly. Zombies in suits!
    wendy

• ianao
    ianao
    You never really know what you think you know until you have to defend it...

Frenchy, your words of wisdom have hit home. <--- Again!!!!

ianao 1:1 reads:

DOH!
  • TR
    TR

Frenchy,

Personally I would like to see some of the lurkers step into the light and challenge us. I would like to think that some of us would welcome this opportunity and answer such with tact and honesty. I keep my e-mail open to anyone who wants to drop me a note but I know that many are afraid of discovery and so I understand their reluctance to do so. Perhaps if our conduct on this board would show a little more tolerance these might be encouraged to speak out.

I agree. If asked sincerely, I would respond in kind.

TR

• trevor
    trevor

Hi Frenchy,

I think you are right Danielle was out for a little fun. I never took her/him seriously and replied with humour. I liked the way she/he acted like a strict teacher and slapped us all in to place.I needed a firm hand to make me behave.

The style was very tounge in cheek and I was amused by the way she/he was able to stir up so much emotion. I would have liked her to stay for a while and said so but unfortunately she/he was being greedy and posting too much - needed a slap I'll wager.

Trevor

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Frenchy,

Your post is very significant. Tolerance is a character trait we should all develop and use in our dealings with others. The Golden Rule
    always has, and always will be a good one to live by.

I've only been participating on the forum for about 7 weeks - and I've noticed the registered users have
    increased from about 350+ to some
    650+. I would like to see those
    'looking' add their experiences and thoughts to the discussion. I truly believe that the more we learn of others and where they have been in life, the more insight we have into our own thoughts, behaviors and beliefs.

At the onset, Danielle was a welcomed
    participant - for me it was just her excessive posting that was troublesome
    --almost felt I was sitting in a KH listening to 30 years worth of Tower
    articles, he,he.

Truthfully, my brief participation on this forum has awakened many feelings that I thought were 'done and over.'
    Sometimes, just sometimes, emotions are surfacing that I find difficult to deal with. But, here, I see others in the same situation - so it is comforting to know we can express what we feel...it
    does, indeed, help.

Thank you all for being so forthcoming with your experiences and questions.

And, for you 'lookers' - please do join us...we would like to get to know you.

• DriveslikeJehu
    DriveslikeJehu

On the other side of the coin, I want to thank you guys for being tolerant of me.hehe I know that since we might not see eye to eye on everything, that there could be the potential for animosity. But you're all to be commended for not letting it happen. Thanks for making me feel welcome...and for not making fun of me just because I'm still active.

• ISP
    ISP

Re Danie11e - its hard not to feel foolish now considering that it was arguably an honour to have such an accomplished 'apostate' on the board although the person made out to be an apologist.

Did we pass?

But hopefully some lessons learned. I have also noticed that from time to time some posters have got into it a bit with each other. All of us are glad to see the back on intolerance and judgmentalism so lets not revisit it here. So its a helpful reminder you have brought up Frenchy.

ISP

• ISP
    ISP

Hey but that 'DrivesLikeJehu' dude...........sheesh braindead or what!

ISP

Thats a joke BTW!

• mommy
    mommy

Driveslikejehu,
    Isn't it kinda weird to think "all" us nice people are going to die?
    Do you think Jesus would turn his back on us?
    Words to ponder
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit