RIP Comet Ison

by cofty 22 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

It appears that comet Ison has not survived its journey past the sun...

Its a pity, it would have been a wonderful sight next week if it had made it.

4.6 billions years wasn't a bad innings.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

you mean alittle over 6ooo years lol just playing cofty. happy thanksgiving my friend

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I want my money back...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Damn! I was hoping that it would survive.

• bigmac
    bigmac

ive only ever seen 2.

the one in the 90's was a lovely sight--visible in daylight in the south western sky for months. what was it called?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

So was I hoping it would do the business! I love all the sights in the night sky that are visible to me, I only have binoculars at present, so it would have been fun to watch.

Many a night I have sat outside, well wrapped up this time of year ! and watched meteors and other phenomena, dammit, we don't get another one till after my "stardust" has been recycled. I am an old stargazer.

Bigmac, was that Hale Bopp or something close in spelling ? Didn't Halleys also fly past in your lifetime ? you are an old bugger like me after all.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hale-bopp Malc.

• cofty
    cofty

Don't forget comet Hyakutate in '96

• bigmac
    bigmac

yes--that was it--hale bopp. ive still got a photo i took of it.

i never saw halleys last time round---but i did observe another--through binocs-in the early 90's--well before h=bopp---directly overhead in the dark sky--was it called kahoutek?

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit