JJ Abrams and the WTBTS.

by DATA-DOG 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You are probably wondering what these two subjects have in common. Well, I have been pondering something for quite some time. I have been trying to figure out how explain the recent and HUGE doctrinal shifts of the WTBTS since the 2012 annual meeting, and the accompanying modernizing of the JW official website. For a thinking person there are many, many questions raised. What it all boils down to is " WHY?"

Why JW.ORG? Why the RNWT? Why the GB/FDS teaching? Why the new online " reasoning tract " [ not book LOL!!]?? Why does JW.ORG's archives only go back to 2000? Why the new "domestic" title without a raise for the R&F? Why have a JW version of Steve Jobs? Why all the apps?? Why make a new "memorial" outline? WHY, WHY WHY?!?!

I know that we could talk about each of these subjects at length. One common answer will be, "control and money." So for instance, " Why make a new memorial outline amidst all these other changes?" Control, power, and with that comes money. More partakers, means more are reading the Bible without WT goggles, and that spells trouble. So what's a corporation to do? That's where JJ Abrams comes into play.

A concept came to mind when I first heard of the nu-light and the 2012 AGM. Of course by then, many of us already knew that there was no slave "class" from 33 C.E onward, even though our motivations were worlds apart from the GB, but I digress. Anyway, I was hoping to find an exact quote from JJ Abrams to convey my thoughts. I was looking for another analogy about the recent changes in JW dogma, one that might help some to grasp what has been done. I finally found it by chance. Here it is.

ABRAMS: “Here’s the thing… I think the key to that was, first of all, it was one of those things that not everyone even cares about or understands the timeline of it all. The notion that when this one character, Nero, arrives in his ship, that basically the timeline is altered at that moment, so everything forward is essentially an alternative timeline. That is not to say that everything that happened in The Original Series doesn’t exist. I think, as a fan of movies and shows, if someone told me the beloved thing for me was gone, I would be upset. But we didn’t do that. We’re not saying that what happened in that original series wasn’t good, true, valid, righteous and real. Let people embrace that. We’re not rejecting that. That, to me, would have been the big mistake. We’re simply saying that, “At this moment, the very first scene in the first movie, everything that people knew of Star Trek splits off into now another timeline.”

Do you see it? Do you see what the Corporation/Organization has done? The first thing that came to my mind when I learned about all the nu-light and adjustments, website, DVD's, credit card machines, commercials, JW.ORG logo, ect, was , "My GOD.. they have really done it. They have created an alternate timeline. Nothing that happened in the past even matters."

It was then that I realized the futility of trying to save all the JWs. It makes me sad, and it hurts. I worry every single day about everyone that I know. Not a day goes by that I don't contemplate TTATT. From the moment I wake, until the moment I sleep, even my dreams are infused with TTATT. I imagine that when I die, I will still be worrying about everyone I know. Still, what can I do? You can't make someone see truth.

How can I convince a Star Trek fan that Chris Pine is not Captain Kirk? I say, "William Shatner is Kirk!" They say, "He is the Kirk from the old series, this is a new timeline. Can't you just enjoy the new movie? Look the awesome special effects! Besides, we aren't disrespecting the old, we are just embracing the new timeline." Imagine the endless debates that take place online and at Star Trek conventions. In the end they must agree to disagree. The difference being that Fan clubs don't ruin families by DF'ing people for preferring the old Scotty over the new one.

How can I convince a JW that the GB is not the FDS? How do you get them to acknowledge the "original series", or History of the Organization?

How do you reason against an alternate timeline in a fantasy adventure series, because in the end that's what JWism is, a fantasy.

DD

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

You want an analogy between Star Trek and the Watchtower?

They are the Borg and YOU will be assimilated.

• tec
    tec

Lol... my sister and I had that very debate last night. (regarding Star Trek... not regarding the GB being the FDS)

Mind you... I LIKE the alternative universe timeline in Star Trek. Makes everything new, rather than a remake.

So I think to see your analogy, I would have to first be on the same side as you in the Star Trek debate ; )

Not that I disagree... the GB is not the FDS... and what came before DOES matter because we are not living in an alternative universe.

Peace to you,

tammy

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

AlphaMan,

I love that pic! It' one of the best!

TEC,

That's funny! It's fun to debate things like that. The sad thing is that peoples live are severely affected by the BORG. Just think, the FDS has only existed since 1919 according to the nu-light. So they have the truth NOW. It doesn't matter what happened in the past. Also, I love the alternate Star Trek, it's brilliant. It revived the franchise, and that's what the Org wants as well.

DD

• BU2B
    BU2B

I kind of want to change my avatar to that pic AM, it is So good!!

DD; I agree with your comparison, very appropo

• tec
    tec

Also, I love the alternate Star Trek, it's brilliant. It revived the franchise, and that's what the Org wants as well.

Ahh... now that comparison I CAN see. Good point.

Peace,

tammy

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

ineresting analogy

i agree they have in effect accomplished a "new timeline".

the old BOrganization was just a platform for this most recent to rise from. It wasn't wrong, it was just the beginning of "this" BOrg.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

At the AGM that I suffered through, the GB went on and on about how they love and respect the old FDS and the NWT translation committee. THEN, they relaese the RNWT. I might add that it is revised in that it lacks all the reference material of the old NWT. Much of the old NWT could awaken a JW. The RNWT merely resembles all the modern versions of "Christendom", while adding JEHOVAH (tm) even more and containing a dumbed down appendix.

So yeah, " We’re not saying that what happened in that original series wasn’t good, true, valid, righteous and real. Let people embrace that. We’re not rejecting that. That, to me, would have been the big mistake. We’re simply saying that, “At this moment, the very first scene in the first movie, everything that people knew of Star Trek splits off into now another timeline.”

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

DATADOG said " I have been trying to figure out how explain the.......modernizing of the JW official website."

Try this for size:

Letter from the GB

Brothers, There is one God, one Lord, one Faith, and one Baptism. Now there is ONE website provided by the FDS which true Christians can trust and receive pure spiritual truths by visiting. There is no need to view any other websites which could be likened to touching the unclean thing, because by doing so, you would be endangering your spirituality and your relationship with Jehovah. In view of the seriousness of visiting such websites, the GB has agreed that Bible principles dictate that anyone doing so risks being disfellowshipped.

The InterWeb is the single biggest threat to keeping minds blinded, and it must be dealt with.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am a little creeped out, because I don't know if that is a real letter or a joke..

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit