Is it just me or has this site become a Believer/Atheist warzone?

by BU2B 288 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I read philosophy. Science is not my forte.

It is unfair to target Cofty. Why is it all right to state everyone should agree and then attack a particular person? You break your own rule before you start.

This thread is ugly. People who claim extraordinary things such as being the exclusive organ of God or hearing from a deity should be required to explain themselves. It is crazy to have a discussion forum and not discuss. What can anyone say to someone who believes the Bible is inerrant? Good bye. I thought it great that people were sharing what interests them. In fact, I enjoy Jgnat's thread and all the people who posted "Interview with an Apostate" material. The Interviews enable me to understand some people. Reading random post's doesn't give you the flavor of a person.

So when there is a consensus and Simon agrees to have politeness monitors......... Someone here who organizes can figure out how to call a quoroum and take a vote of all members. This is an Internet forum and not a formal debate club. It is not the Oxford Union.

• jgnat
    jgnat

mrhhome, admittedly I'm an armchair critic. I don't expect my pithy remarks to be cited in professional journals or anything. My chess, also, is middling at best; I am a coffee-shop player with a couple wins under my belt. The only philosophers I quote are those I have read. Plato mostly. Aristotle, even if he may be more correct, is deadly boring. I'll reference any scientific discovery I find interesting.

Are you suggesting that my lack of qualifications disqualifies me from discussion?

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

No, targeting crofty is completely fair. I do not go around picking fights, but when I find someone being rude, I will call them on it.

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

jgnat...I think you know that my comments were not directed at you. Your points are articulate and thought provoking.

There are some here, however, who like to beat people with broad categorical statements about science who obviously do not understand much about it.

• cofty
    cofty

Its not Crofty its Cofty.

• bohm
    bohm

Mrhhome: you go first, whats your background in science?

• jgnat
  • jgnat
    jgnat

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I'd rather judge statements on their own merits.

• jgnat
  • cofty
    cofty

who obviously do not understand much about it - mrhhome

If you spot anybody saying anything about science that isn't correct please correct it with evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit