JWS moving into the 2010s: GREATER FOCUS ON "PUBLIC' VENUE PREACHING

by steve2 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"I saw one of their stands in Fareham yesterday. The sisters behind the stand were talking to one another and paying no attention to anyone around them. It was early and there were relatively few passersby but they made no effort to engage with anyone."

They did what they are trained or told to do, my friend. Those behind the stand are informed NOT to approach those passing by or those looking at or taking some of the literature. They should only respond to questions etc, but not take the initiative themselves. That is the point of these stands - people should feel free to have a look and take whatever they want without being constantly asked "can I help you?" as in shops.

• dozy
    dozy

A relative of mine does the same - she puts up a JW literature stand with a friend & stands behind it in the city centre for a couple of hours every week. She told me that some weeks nobody takes any literature but is pleased that they are "giving a witness" as thousands of people see the stand every day.

I felt a bit sorry for him really - just standing every week with a friend for 2 hours freezing with only each other to chat to. She says they usually grab a coffee from Starbucks and drink it there but I can imagine that usually the only ones they talk to are any JWs who happen to be in the centre of town. Just seemed really pointless to me. I think back to some of the really educated JWs of my childhood who really knew their bible , were skilled at starting conversations & really engaged with people at the doors. Just seemed really sad to me - symptomatic of a slow decline.

• blondie
    blondie

In the past that was almost all they did

CTR columns in the newspapers

Handing out tracts in front of churches

Testimony cards

Phonographs

Sound cars

Placing literature (for a price) but coming back to study with them

CTR debating religious leaders of his time

Radio stations in JFR's day

Wearing placards in the public venues (Religion is a Snare and a Racket)

(Do they even turn in bible study slips any more?)

PS the WTS has said many times that a personal witness is not necessary. Maybe walking by a cart will count as your one chance for everlasting life on earth.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Let's see if the 8 Popes of Brooklyn get out there and do street witnessing or cart witnessing. You know--set the example.

eyeuse2badub

• blondie
    blondie

They need a snappy banner like

MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

I'd rather hand out bills for real estate projects out in the sun than stand there looking like a fool with these ragazines.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

They make themselves sitting ducks for anti-witnessing. They can't run away

• steve2
    steve2

Perhaps the push for public-venue witnessing is a clever ploy by the GB to make d-t-d appear less difficult by putting the d-t-d work in a contrastingly better light? As much as your average Witness struggles to keep up the d-t-d requirements, those requirements now appear more tolerable than going right into a public venue to advertise your religious identity.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

From the December 2013 to January 2014 Elders meet with Regular Pioneers, Special Pioneers, and Field Missionaries sheet:

The faithful and discreet slave has indicated that our primary way of spreading the good news continues to be the house-to-house ministry (km 7/13 4 par. 1)

• redvip2000

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit