Do you miss the sense of superiority?

by Diest 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I cringe sometimes when I think of how smart I thought I was, and how certain I was right. It's a bit embarrassing to think about it now.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

I don't miss it at all. I don't miss thinking that I knew. Now I am certain that I do not know and I am more comfortable with that. I sort of never believed that I personally had it over anyone else.

• Watkins
    Watkins

No, I don't miss it. Learning ttatt and being humbled to the point of knowing I knew nothing was a big lesson for me. I hate the fact that I had ever thought of my super-dub-self as superior in knowledge. Humbling, oh yeah.

~W

• Laika
    Laika

I remember my Dad telling me when I was about 8 that I knew the bible better than the local vicar... oh dear.

I think most of my life was spent feeling that I was terrible, but at least I wasn't as terrible as those people. There is some satisfaction in that, but I think I prefer respecting others.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Diest, that feeling you had, it's called "smug" which my mom and all her Uber Dub friends had

• losingit
    losingit

Im assuming that the ones that enjoyed the feeling of superiority were born-ins. I've witnessed the haughty attitude of born ins towards converts, even in children towards adults.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Ya, there is a sense of warm security thinking we are one of the few who know the fundamental truth of all existence.

Then we enter into a "scientific" material dogma that says we exist for 70 years and then we die and are no more.

However, many throughout time -- including Einstein -- have hinted that time and space is but an illusion, so perhaps all our cherished ideas of what is "real" (those stories which rely on time and space).... are nothing at all.

To know you know nothing, may be the wisest knowing of all.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I was born in and never "latched on to da troof", TRUST

Kinda makes me wonder if I was born Baptist, as my Uber Dub mother was, would I have had any interest in that or any other religion. It's a matter of being dragged to church when you're a kid, but then you get to an age when you realize, as in Dubdom, that it's a total piece of crap.

• Diest
    Diest

Shirley, did you get your smugness from your mom?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

i don't have any smugness Diest

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit