Why do Jehovah's Witnesses keep track of field service hours?

by Faithful Witness 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I understand that they claim to have the responsibility to preach to every corner of the earth, so they can encourage Armageddon to come quickly. (Matthew 24:14 "And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.")

What rationale do they have, for keeping track of their hours and literature placements? Is there a biblical basis for this recordkeeping and reporting to an organization?

It directly opposes what I understand to be the meaning of the teachings in the sermon on the mount.

Matthew 6:1-5

“Take care not to practice your righteousness in front of men to be noticed by them; otherwise you will have no reward with your Father who is in the heavens. 2 So when you make gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3 But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your gifts of mercy may be in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you."

From my understanding, a certain number of reported hours are required to maintain the different levels in the congregation hierarchy.

I've heard comments like, "It's like scoring points with Jehovah." Is this really what they think they're getting?

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I plan to ask this question of my father, but am hoping to get a preview of what his answer might be. Thanks for any thoughts, from anyone who has turned in a time card!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Purely business. In their mind it is a guage of effectiveness and for targetting resources.

But we all know it is really dual use for control and guilt as well. Why else would our report cards have our name on them.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

How do you get a person to do things that they would normaly shy away from? Its the carrot and the stick! They need a gauge to measure 'spirituality' and then they can be rewarded with responsibilities. Everyone loves them!

Or have them taken away...mmm, everyone is suspicious of you and avoids you as your lack of spirituality may tarnish them....

There you have it. A willing slave of the mind. Easy.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I see two reasons: the WTS can brag about the increasing number of hours devoted to preaching the good news of the kingdom as the end is approaching and to keep the publishers active because most JWs go out in service so they can write something on the report slip. Eliminating the reporting would do away with pioneering since the qualifications are based on the number of hours pioneers spend in the ministry. Most publishers would go out once in a blue moon if any at all.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses keep track of field service hours?

Everything I've seen points to bragging rights......both, for the organization and the individual.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

All answers are great! Also, Boozerford was a control freak. He made up hourly requirements and said that " The Lord" said so... He was a really wacko that built a mansion for himself with the donations of the WTBTS. He also had 2 Cadillacs during the depreession era. Most JWs lived in squalor at Beth-hell.

Guit, control, carrot on a stick, class distinctions, PR, bragging rights/powerful works...

DD

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I understand why the organization requires it. What reason to JW's tell themselve and others, for reporting their time?

What answer will I get from my father, when I ask him why he turns in a time card each month?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Its all about a showy display of righteousness. You can be a complete looser but if you put 10 hours down on the slip each month and do some ass kissing you to can be an elder.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

When he says it's for organisational reasons (targeting / effectiveness etc etc) then ask him why the publishers have individual cards with their names on.

Watch him squirm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit